cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

3D PDF huge file sizes

danb
4-Participant

3D PDF huge file sizes

Hi,

Historically i have given 3D PDF files to other non CAD people within our organisation.

I never had issues with file sizes, but with Creo2/3 the exported file sizes are HUGE/bigger than creo files and so become unusable.

I read on the web that Adobe dropped 3D support.

Does anyone have similar issue or a work around? are there any settings we should be using to reduce exported file sizes?

Its quite annoying for what was once a simple solution for sharing with  non-technical people.

What are people opinions for other external viewers, I know PTC creo view express but is that truly a free viewer or like edrawings?

The people that want to view the files can be marketing/design so do not have CAD viewers and use macs..

Any help/opinions welcome

Thanks

Dan

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Stuart,

Here is what we found...

"Creo apparently now defaults the "Shade Quality" to 50, whereas in earlier versions of the program, the parameter only went to 10, and defaulted to 3. 

By changing this parameter (at: File, Options, Model Display, Shade Quality) to 1, the 3D PDF drops to a compact 276 Kb, or just over 5% of the size of yesterday's default 3D PDF (18.6X size reduction).

There is a trade-off: some (not all!) curved surfaces and edges show faceting. This effect can be lessened by increasing the Shade Quality at the expense of increasing the file size."

I hope that this helps.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
pspreier
1-Newbie
(To:danb)

Hi Daniel,

First, I want to assure you that Adobe has not dropped 3D support in PDF. Quite the opposite in fact. In the last month, they have announced an Adobe print platform for 3D printing and a partnership with Stratasys. Both of these are powered by 3D PDF. And 3D is in the ISO PDF spec. 3D PDF is here to stay as far as I can tell.

I am not sure why the Creo 3D PDF file size is growing. There are a number of factors that contribute to the size of a 3D PDF file. If you want to send me the 3D PDF, I can take a look at it to see why it is so large. You can get send the file to info@3dpdfconsortium.org and I will get back to you.

Regards,

Phil Spreier

Technical Director

3D PDF Consortium

Hi Phil, is there a resolution to this issue? I recently output a 3D PDF from Creo 2 & it's file size was around 3Mb. Now using Creo 3 & the same part, the 3D PDF has increased in file size to 67Mb !

Hi Stuart,

Here is what we found...

"Creo apparently now defaults the "Shade Quality" to 50, whereas in earlier versions of the program, the parameter only went to 10, and defaulted to 3. 

By changing this parameter (at: File, Options, Model Display, Shade Quality) to 1, the 3D PDF drops to a compact 276 Kb, or just over 5% of the size of yesterday's default 3D PDF (18.6X size reduction).

There is a trade-off: some (not all!) curved surfaces and edges show faceting. This effect can be lessened by increasing the Shade Quality at the expense of increasing the file size."

I hope that this helps.

That works a treat Phil. Thanks !

danb
4-Participant
(To:pspreier)

Yes that is awesome, thanks!

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

You may want to mark Phil's answer as correct so that is show in the box right below your question. (Unmark your answer and then mark Phil's).

danb
4-Participant
(To:Dale_Rosema)

yes sorry about that, should be fixed now

mbonka
15-Moonstone

Hello, Daniel Browning

The people that want to view the files can be marketing/design so do not have CAD viewers and use macs..

personally strongly diasagrre with your expression  "so do not have CAD viewers and use macs.." . They have to have CAD viewer.

What about thise:

1. put CAD data on company server (in directory where ONLY CAD designers can write --- rest of company only READ permmision)

2. instal Creoview exxpress to desired PC´s in marketing division (Free prohlížečka 2D a 3D CAD souborů PTC Creo View Express) Aveng.cz is Czech platinum certificated PTC provider company or use different oficial PTC source to download

3. marketing people see actual data everytime (in CAD viewer and can printscreen als they wish)

4. it´s much comfortable for you as design engineer

Regards

Milan Bonka

danb
4-Participant
(To:mbonka)

Hi Milan,

Thanks for your comments.

I think it is more down to the way your company/organisation works as to what is the best way to share data across disciplines.

For instance a company could go full windchill with internal viewers etc.

Where I am is a consumer software/marketing led company, design/engineering is a small part.

All our marketing/sales/management use macs; Creo view express is not even supported. Using the app on a tablet is nice but niche.

I have used the PTC viewers in the past, my experience is non design people do not want to add applications/IT will not support etc.

Actually most of the time communicating/sharing data with internal people are happy with pretty pictures/renders, I am sorry but viewers do not do this to a high quality level.

Yes other people may want to review data in more detail this is where we use 3DPDF.

As I say we have a small design/engineering function there is no real requirement to share detailed engineering data internally only externally with manufacturers who have design engineers etc.

There are other alternatives, I would argue edrawings has been most used in my experience but again you need to install a separate viewer or pay for executable file function.

I see you are pushing the creo viewer, I am not against it just saying 3D PDF is an alternative.

Regards,

Dan

Top Tags