cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

AFX Cut List

BTaylor_MEI
5-Regular Member

AFX Cut List

I find that the default cut list generated in a drawing on the Framework tab is very unsatisfactory; it creates a new line for each item even when many are identical, it displays the length in the same column as the part name which is not very readable, it does not display angles for mitered ends.

Is there a way to customize the standard cut list or generate a satisfactory cut list in a table? I would like to display a table that does the following:

1) Collapse identical members and display the quantity of each

2) provide cut lengths in a separate column in fractional measurements

3) provide columns with the miter angles if necessary 

4) Ideally I would not display the part names at all, only the type of structural section in use. (e.g. 2x2x1/4 Tube Sq)

I have not been able to locate the source of the default cut list table to see if it can be modified, and I have tried to use a repeat region table but I haven't found the syntax to use to find this information.

Thanks very much

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @BTaylor_MEI ,

so I think the general idea what the cut-list is used for is a little misunderstood. The use case is to illustrate what beams to make from what raw material in order to have the least offcut. We run a very basic nesting algorithm that tries to do that. The text itself is indeed dumb text and cannot be customized further at this time. At the moment we also do not support fractional measurements.

However your use case sounds more like you want to have a traditional BOM and not a cut list. To achieve this you can just use a regular Creo table. In your case you also want to have the miter angles displayed. We have a Blog post that should help you out with that: 

https://www.buw-soft.de/en/news/cut-angle-information-in-bom-parameters/

Also some more info about BOM and other drawing functionalities can be found in this Youtube video I've created some years back. Don't get freaked out by the old icons. The functions are still mostly identical.

https://youtu.be/qQs40CkbP0s?list=PLA5B87A94AB144DB7

I hope this helps.

Samuel Brantner
B&W Software GmbH

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Hi,

please ask the same question to PTC Support.

Martin Hanák
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:BTaylor_MEI)

It is a table, so you can look at the parameters that are driving the table information and create your own table using them. also look at the parameters in each part of the AFX assembly and see what information is available for use in a table. I do not think there is anything about the end treatment of items in the parameters, but I haven't looked in a while.

BTaylor_MEI
5-Regular Member
(To:BenLoosli)

My apologies if this is a dumb question, but how do I find the parameters that are driving the table? It seems to be just text, I expect parameters to be in the form of "&..." 

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Should be Table - Repeat Region - Switch Symbol.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:StephenW)

I haven't used it, but I wouldn't be surprised if AFX is generating the table with dumb text and not using PTC supplied parameters.  @SamuelBrantner would know for sure.  (AFX is developed by a 3rd party, not PTC.)

BTaylor_MEI
5-Regular Member
(To:TomU)

Yes, I would be surprised too. I'm quite new to Creo, coming from Solidworks, but I couldn't figure out how to show the parameter names there, as the only method I'm familiar with is the "switch symbols" icon that StephenW mentioned above.

@BTaylor_MEI wrote:

Yes, I would be surprised too. I'm quite new to Creo, coming from Solidworks, but I couldn't figure out how to show the parameter names there, as the only method I'm familiar with is the "switch symbols" icon that StephenW mentioned above.

Hi,

please create test assembly, pack all its files into single zip file and upload zip file. This enables community members to investigate your "situation".

Martin Hanák
BTaylor_MEI
5-Regular Member
(To:MartinHanak)

Hi Martin,

I've attached a zip file with an example assembly. My desired output in this case would be:

Item#     Profile                                     Qty.     Length     Angle 1      Angle 2

1               2"x2"x1/4" Tube Square      4          26               45deg       45deg

Thanks!

@BTaylor_MEI wrote:

Hi Martin,

I've attached a zip file with an example assembly. My desired output in this case would be:

Item#     Profile                                     Qty.     Length     Angle 1      Angle 2

1               2"x2"x1/4" Tube Square      4          26               45deg       45deg

Thanks!

Hi,

please upload also part file.

MartinHanak_0-1674291656662.png

To collect all files you can:

• open assembly
  • backup assembly into empty directory
  • zip the directory

Martin Hanák
BTaylor_MEI
5-Regular Member

Ah, sorry for the oversight. I'm still getting used to how Creo handles files. I've attached the backed up version with the .prt files.

Hi,

Samuel Brantner is the best partner for discussing your problem. I'll stop adding replies to the discussion.

Martin Hanák
BTaylor_MEI
5-Regular Member

Thank you for all your help, Martin. Much Appreciated.

BTaylor_MEI
5-Regular Member
(To:StephenW)

I tried that, and my BOM table switches as expected, but the weld cut list does not. I'd be happy to build my own cut list template using the repeat region syntax but I can't find if it has the parameters that I need.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Obviously I don't know much about AFX.

There is a some info, hopefully it is helpful here https://support.ptc.com/help/creo/creo_pma/r7.0/usascii/#page/advanced_framework/About_Configuring_BOM_Parameters.html#

Hi @BTaylor_MEI ,

so I think the general idea what the cut-list is used for is a little misunderstood. The use case is to illustrate what beams to make from what raw material in order to have the least offcut. We run a very basic nesting algorithm that tries to do that. The text itself is indeed dumb text and cannot be customized further at this time. At the moment we also do not support fractional measurements.

However your use case sounds more like you want to have a traditional BOM and not a cut list. To achieve this you can just use a regular Creo table. In your case you also want to have the miter angles displayed. We have a Blog post that should help you out with that: 

https://www.buw-soft.de/en/news/cut-angle-information-in-bom-parameters/

Also some more info about BOM and other drawing functionalities can be found in this Youtube video I've created some years back. Don't get freaked out by the old icons. The functions are still mostly identical.

https://youtu.be/qQs40CkbP0s?list=PLA5B87A94AB144DB7

I hope this helps.

Samuel Brantner
B&W Software GmbH
BTaylor_MEI
5-Regular Member
(To:SamuelBrantner)

Hi Samuel,

Thanks very much for your reply; I think you are right, I am not trying to optimize my offcuts in this application. Unfortunately it appears that the .zip file linked in your blog post is no longer there, the download failed due to "No file". The cut list shown on the linked page is exactly what I am trying to achieve.

Hi,

the links are working fine on my end. I've attached the files. I hope that works.

Samuel Brantner
B&W Software GmbH
BTaylor_MEI
5-Regular Member
(To:SamuelBrantner)

Yes, that's worked. Thanks very much for your help, that's exactly what I needed.

Top Tags