cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Another day, another missing feature in Schools Edition

TrevorBommersba
1-Newbie

Another day, another missing feature in Schools Edition

Another day, another feature (menu item) missing from Schools Edition that I'm assuming should be there. These features are used in in my textbook "Wildfire 4 Advanced Design" (by CADQuest) which was written with Commercial and Education versions in mind. No one has these problems with University or Education versions, why is Schools any different? Could someone tell me if Schools Edition is supposed to display the following menu items? Insert -> Model Datum -> Evaluate Insert -> Advanced -> Lip Insert -> Advanced -> Ear I gotta say I'm really getting tired of finding things missing from the Schools Edition. I ran into this problem with my last Pro/E class. (Sheetmetal) I eventually found a fix after finishing the class. (PTC forgot to include the flange profiles in the installation CD.) Thanks you PTC for the free software for learning your platform. If you really want me to learn it, stop leaving out things. If you have to leave things out, a centralized document listing everything that's been disabled would help. I had an accident which is keeping me from physically attending my classes. Fortuately my instructor will let me do the class online, but I keep finding functions that are missing/disabled in Schools Edition. It's too late to drop the class, which I would probably have done, knowing I have to access the computers at school to finish my assignments.
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
11 REPLIES 11

There are two different versions of the Schools Edition, the Schools Edition and the Schools Advanced Edition. There are features that the Schools Edition doesn't have but I don't know what they are. The Schools Advanced Edition is suppose to have the same features as the Student Edition. You might try contacting Mark Fisher from the Student Edition forums. He is the PTC Student Edition point of contact. The other thing you may find missing are the sketcher palette sections that come with the commercial version and the WF3 Student Version. I would bring these issues up with your instructor. They should be aware of the issues but you never know.

Also In config pro Set anotonic feature to yes.

The option is allow_anatomic_features. I missed that option too.

Hi Everyone- Thanks for the prompt replies. I have "allow_anatomic_features" set to yes in my config file (a separate file that I manually load and apply each time I start Pro/E). I'm trying to attach a screenshot that shows this, but for some reason the forum system isn't letting me (FTP error that I never got before).

"Kevin Demarco" wrote:

The other thing you may find missing are the sketcher palette sections that come with the commercial version and the WF3 Student Version. I would bring these issues up with your instructor. They should be aware of the issues but you never know.

"Kevin Demarco" wrote:

You might try contacting Mark Fisher from the Student Edition forums. He is the PTC Student Edition point of contact.

Here is the email address he posted in one of his posts: -.

"Trevor Bommersbach" wrote:

Hi Everyone- I'm trying to attach a screenshot that shows this, but for some reason the forum system isn't letting me (FTP error that I never got before).

Per Kevin's advice I've contacted Mark Fischer at PTC. Looks like Anatomic features, or at least these ones we're discussing, are not supported by the Schools edition. I don't understand all the reasoning, but is has something to do with the fact that these features share code with Surfacing, which is disabled in Schools, but not in Student Edition. Up to this point I assumed Schools and Student were the same. I thought Schools was some special program through our school that allowed us to get WF for free, I didn't realize we were missing certain functionality. Of course a dialog box, pointing out that the feature I need is disabled in Schools and a path pointing on how to upgrade would have allieviated the confusion. I'm not holding out just to save a hundred or so lousy bucks. The lesson here is, if you use Schools for more than a couple months, then you should probably just upgrade to Student and prevent similar episodes. Thanks though to Mark at PTC for the quick response. He was alot of help.

Hi all, The Schools Edition is the free version of Pro/E we provide secondary schools and students at college and university. The edition contains a lot of functionality, however it does not include items like Mechanica, MFG, surfacing, etc. For this reason we removed the menus and icons for those capabilities to avoid the user getting a license not found message. While most icons and menus have been added, these particular menus were not...since you needed to enable them via the config.pro option. I have open a request to have them added in the next release of Pro/E Schools edition. The next release will be Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 5.0 Schools Edition.....available in May. Many of you had questions on what is included in each edition - Schools, Student and University. Attached is a spreadsheet listing the differences. Hope it helps. Regards, Mark

Thanks, Mark -- that spreadsheet is very helpful.
Top Tags