cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Are you using a datamanager other than PTC for Pro/E?

ptc-113113
1-Newbie

Are you using a datamanager other than PTC for Pro/E?

First my apologies for cross posting, but I am trying to reach a larger audience

What are the options for managing Pro/E data today?
Windchill PDMLink
Windchill Pro/INTRALINK
ProductPoint
Seimens PLM
Oracle/Agile PLM
(Subversion)??
(git?)
Enovia
Home grown software??
Open source workflow/content management software?

Given our first and foremost requirement is to maintain business continuity and replace Pro/INTRALINK 3.4:

We need a universal "workspace" where it understands the file types, but does not discriminate against the file types, i.e by not forcing users to manage the documents life cycles thru more than one tool set. I call this concept a "universal" workspace, which in fact what was implemented so beautifully in Pro/INTRALINK 3.4. All objects defined in the administrative console were managed using one tool set only.

Why would it be so difficult for PTC to allow users to manage MSOffice documents in the Pro/E workspace. The actions would be all the same, "Add to Workspace" Check out Check in, Modified status.

As it is we have hit a MAJOR roadblock in our Windchill implementation, as we have already trained our users to adopt the excellent version control in 3.4 for all our primary business documents (word excel, autocad, pro/e etc). We have identified that Windchills inability to manage all primary business documents in a workspace, is very detrimental to the ability of teammates to collaborate using the same LifeCycle management processes.

So I have to ask, is there a better solution out there?

Best Regards for the Holidays,

Andrew Amsden
CAD\PDM Administrator
Midmark Corporation
937-526-8770

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

We use Teamcenter put out by UGS (Siemens).

<u>http://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_us/products/teamcenter/</u>

We've been using it for for years now, although it is not an off-the-shelf version. UGS has worked with us extensively to modify it to do what we wanted it to do. We can even access some of the features through a drop-down menu right in Pro/E and there are future plans to be able to do everything through this drop-down without having to open another program window. About the only people that launch the program its self are the Detailers to create datasets that contain non-Pro/E files. OurEngineers/Designers, for the most part, just use the drop-down menu in Pro/E to fetch and submitPro/E files.

I've never worked with Windchill before so I can't tell you howit compares with Teamcenter.

Top Tags