cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Area of a closed loop in drawing

sndong-mefane
5-Regular Member

Area of a closed loop in drawing

Hello,

I am a relatively new ProE/CREO 2.0 user. I used to work with Solid Edge 4 and NX7.5, but in my new department they are using Wildfire 4.0 and are STILL thinking about moving to CREO 2.0. It did not stop me from trying Creo2.0.

Concerning the topic, when making a drawing in Solid Edge, I used to be able to the area of ANY closed loop in 3 clicks ("Inspect" Tab-->"Area" icon --> Click on the "closed loop"..Tadaaaa!!!). Is there a way to do the same thing in ProE or Creo2.0??? especially when you have a variable sweep geometry, you created a section view in your drawing, and you want to know the area of the section without having to go back to the 3D model...for example...

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Stephane

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Analysis-Cross Section Physical Properties-select a datum plane

555.JPG

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

If you have a section in your model, you can create a datum curve from the section. Next, create a Fill surface and project the curve into the sketch. Now you can measure using Analysis>area of the surface.

You can also use analysis in drawings and select faces, but not sections. Again, if a fill surface is present in the drawing, it will read that.

Analysis-Area9.JPG

sndong-mefane
5-Regular Member
(To:Vladimir_G)

Hello Vladimir,

Thank you for your answer, unfortunately it doesn't work when I am trying to get the area of a section in a variable sweep geometry for example....Or maybe I am missing something???

Stephane

sndong-mefane
5-Regular Member
(To:TomD.inPDX)

HEllo Antonius,

Thank you for your answer, I've kept searching and I think your explanation with the "fill surface" is the only "easy" way to get the section area in a drawing...

Stephane

Analysis-Cross Section Physical Properties-select a datum plane

555.JPG

sndong-mefane
5-Regular Member
(To:Vladimir_G)

Thank you Vladimir!!!

One more question: Is it possible to use this with customized sections(I think the correct term is offset section...)?

You can use any datum plane which goes through your part.

Nice find, Vladimir. They should offer this in the analysis 'measure' dialog so you have more options in the results.

Top Tags