cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Assembling cylindrical tapers

sbrown-3
4-Participant

Assembling cylindrical tapers

I have two parts, one with a male cylindrical taper and the other with a matching female cylindrical taper. How do I assemble these two parts so the tapers are touching surface to surface?

6 REPLIES 6

Hi,

I think you can create datum point at the tip of conical surfaced and assemble point-to-point.

MH

Martin Hanák
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:sbrown-3)

Use the 'CENTERED' constraint. You have to select the constraint type prior to selections, it will never show up using the automatic selection type.

sbrown-3
4-Participant
(To:StephenW)

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll have to explore the use of the "centered" constraint. I was able to finally get it to work last night. Similar to what Martin Hanak suggested above I was able to use "coincidence" with a point on the male cone and the surface of the female cone to complete the mate.

Good day Stephen and welcome to PTC Community.

I hope Martin and Stephen's answers were helpful and you problem is solved.

If so, would you please mark one of their answers as Correct; by doing so, the answer bubbles to the top of the conversation making it easy to find.

Have an excellent day.

Best,

Toby

Mate/coincident should work. It used to.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:sbrown-3)

If you've never tried the centered constraint, consider trying it for situations like this, tapers or sphericals.

Only one constraint is needed if you don't require rotational control of the part (allow assumptions in the image above).

It's a "nice to have" item, not that there aren't other ways to do it.

Top Tags