cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Batch import assembly from individual STEP files

jream-2
1-Newbie

Batch import assembly from individual STEP files

I am working on a system, for the company that I work for, that will be storing and managing assembly and detail files all as individual STEP files. The system will then be able to download all individual STEP files for all assembly components (detail parts and sub-assemblies) for any specific assembly number. We need an application that is able to open an entire assembly as a batch process by loading the STEP file for the top assembly, and the application then continues loading all components from the other STEP files in the same folder.

I have done this with Catia V5, but we would need a less expensive application for downstream users of this product data, and Creo Elements/Direct Modeling Express would be great. I have not found a way in Modeling Express to batch import an assembly from individual STEP files in this manner. Is Modeling Express capable of doing this, or is this a feature that might be added?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

Hi John,

as in the full version, you can use the programming language Lisp in Modeling Express.

Change the following example batch file according to your needs and save it as for example batch.lsp

If you load this batch file in Modeling Express with filetype lisp

the parts or assemblies will be loaded.

cd "C:/tmp/stepdir" ;;change to folder

step_import :FILENAME "B01.stp" complete ;;load part or assembly

step_import :FILENAME "T03.01.stp" complete ;;load part or assembly

step_import :FILENAME "T03.02.stp" complete

step_import :FILENAME "T03.03.stp" complete

step_import :FILENAME "T03.04.stp" complete

step_import :FILENAME "T02.stp" complete

step_import :FILENAME "T02.01.stp" complete

step_import :FILENAME "T02.02.stp" complete

step_import :FILENAME "T02.03.stp" complete

fit_vp (oli::sd-inq-current-vp)

(Please write info in your Signature) Sysinfo: I use Creo Elements Direct /Drafting, /Modeling and /Modeling Express 8.0 ( formerly CoCreate- SolidDesigner and Drafting or ME10 )

Thanks very much for the tip! I've never programmed in Lisp before, but I will certainly give this a try.

I will have to figure out a way to to parse the top level assembly product structure (a typical example may contain many subassemblies and parts), and then build the Lisp code to properly insert each component (parts and subassemblies) into its parent assembly all the way up the product structure to the top assembly.

If STEP files for the top level assembly, all subassemblies, and all parts are contained within a single folder, Catia V5 will automatically import the entire assembly structure with all parts and subassemblies in their correct parent assemblies as long as you import the top level assembly file first. I'm hoping this will allow me to accomplish the same thing with Modeling Express.

Top Tags