cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Cable Labels

ptc-5105135
1-Newbie

Cable Labels

I have been looking into Creo Schematics 2.0 as a replacement for our current wiring diagram software. I am currently using the Lite version of the software. I am new to Schematics and have found little (and uncentralized) documentation on its different features. So, bear with me, because this will be the first of what will likely be a long series of questions!

My first query: I have noticed that when adding labels to a cable shape, only the core labels appear when I route the cable in a wiring diagram. I am certain that there is a way to add these labels to the cable shape, but I just can't seem to figure out why this method isn't working.

The way I'm doing it: Set the cable dataset from the datatable, create a shape associated & open, add three vertical construction lines, route three wires across them, and then try to 'Add Label' from the Ribbon (as I've done with other components).

Help would be greatly appreciated!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

This may not be what you are looking for however, the labels that will come across from a predefined cable are the labels applied at the fiber level. These labels are properties such as wire_gauge and color, which are driven from a dataset. The reason is that a predifined cable is made up of fibers and a believe a catalog fiber can have only one label at a time, possibly due to relative positioning. Other labels can be invoked after the cable is inserted in a wiring diagram based on the properties assocaited with the fibers within the cable and the cable shape. The labels that I add after the cable is routed are signal name, cable name, and the idividual wire names.

Hi,

Since Creo schematics 2.0 user can create his own custom cable decoration, this ability is available only for full license users and allow to add label to the cable decoration, this label will show the cable parameters and will be instanced with the cable when the cable is routed.

since you are using lite license, you can do the following :

• do as john suggested above : route the cable on the sheet and then place label
  • place label in the catalog shape on any of the cables cores which use Accessor in order to refer to cable parameters. for more info on Accessors see "About Displaying Parameters in Labels" topic in the help center . (i.e. setting label to show <top_container!name> will show the top level cable name.)

if you like to know more about the differences between lite and full license, refer to topic "Limitations of Creo Schematics Lite" in the help center.

Regards

Top Tags