cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Can balloon placement and attachment be made manual

sjohnson-2
3-Visitor

Can balloon placement and attachment be made manual

Is there a setting so that I can control the attachment and placement of balloons when they are created? In the past, and I've been a user since '97, when a balloon was placed, you controlled both. Now I have to create the baloon, move the balloon, move the attachment.

I use 3d views in a variety of orientations, and the cleanup tools do not help, and they don't help with the attachments.

This means a single baloon takes about 12 click, and I have assemblies with over a hundred parts. You do the math.

Is there a setting that gives me back control of the balloon process?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

First of all good luck finding enough patience for this kind of task.

These days I am making assembly drawings for a huge assembly, and ballooning gets really time consuming, yet with all the performance issues that Creo 2 drawing package has, it has been a true hell so far.

There is a setting in the drawing option file (DTL) named def_bom_balloons_attachment, but even when I have this option set to surface, all of the newly created balloons still get attached.

The RMB --> Cleanup BOM Balloons option never really worked for me so I don't use that at all.

Whenever I need to change position of the attachment I use a mapkey that, with preselected Balloon, goes into RMB menu --> selects Edit Attachment --> and in the menu manager selects On Surface for the attachment type --> then I select the location manually. Another mapkey I have is for Create Balloons - By Component feature.

Hopefully there is a better method to make BOM Balloons on views with hunderds of components, but I just couldn't seem to find any yet.

I have mapkeys for create balloons also. I have to wonder whether PTC ever asks real users for feedback, as this has been an issue for my company for a very long time.

Sean, I don't think PTC asks for user input, or at least not where I am located.

I just joined a large company where I'll be trying to gain access to PTC support. That means it will take me a propably few more weeks to report this as a bug.

If you can contact PTC support directly just now then you can explain the situation where this DTL option does not work properly, and they might make a SPR, TSI or whatever they call it these days, and forward the issue to devs.

All you have to do is that you have to explain the whole procedure from scratch such that a blind person can reproduce it, while using the default start parts, etc., otherwise the PTC support might just sweep it off the table.

If you can submit a ticket to PTC, and can't be bothered with preparing models, drawings and explanations for them, then let me know. I can do it, and then send the stuff over to you.

Top Tags