cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Can't create a datum axis?

Not applicable

Can't create a datum axis?

Hi, I have an existing assembly (not done by me), which contains 3 parts, which have been shrinkwrapped. I am trying to do something fairly simple, but for some reason I can't seem to be able to. I would like to create a datum axis in the assembly at the intersection of two of the datum planes of the assembly. The purpose of this axis is to redefine the constraint between one of the part and the assembly. However, when I try to add a datum axis, I can select one plane as a reference (through/normal) and one other as an offset reference (if the reference is normal), but I can't seem to be able to add any more and the OK button is greyed out, so the only thing I can do is "cancel" Sorry if I'm being dumb and this is really easy, I'm (very) novice. Many thanks in advance, Arnaud
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5
Not applicable
(To:)

Actually, I have worked how to do this: first select the two datum planes (CTRL + click to select more than one) and then click on the datum axis button. The datum axis is then create automatically. Now my problem is when I come to redefine the placement of a component in the assembly, the datum plane I have just create is nowhere to be seen, i.e. I can't select it at all. Am I doing anything wrong? Thanks, Arnaud
eric.mills
1-Newbie

To make an axis with two planes you need to select one plane and then another that is normal to the first plane. Pro-E doesn't need any more references to create an axis. Look at it this way there is a theoretical line between two planes normal to each other, so you can create an axis using the same logic. Eric
Not applicable
(To:eric.mills)

"Eric Mills" wrote:

To make an axis with two planes you need to select one plane and then another that is normal to the first plane. Pro-E doesn't need any more references to create an axis. Look at it this way there is a theoretical line between two planes normal to each other, so you can create an axis using the same logic. Eric

Kevin
10-Marble

When you tried selecting the second datum plane were you holding the CTRL key?
SylvainA.
4-Participant
(To:Kevin)

"" wrote:

..... Now my problem is when I come to redefine the placement of a component in the assembly, the datum plane I have just create is nowhere to be seen.....

Top Tags