cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Can you rename a Parameter??

rrich
2-Guest

Can you rename a Parameter??

All here is my problem. I have an unruly family table part for a fastener more than 700 instances. I have some parameters in the part that are part of the family table and I would like to rename the parameters so that it will work with some other scripts that use parameters that get ported to external spread sheets. Any ideas how this can be done? Modelcheck? Program script?

Ron

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

ModelCheck has a 'PARAM_RENAM' in the checks file (*.mch). I haven't used it but that would be my first attempt. I'm pretty sure it can't be done through the parameter interface.

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:rrich)

I'm pretty sure you cannot rename a parameter, but this might work to create a new parameter with the values of the old:

* Create the new parameter in the generic
* Add the new parameter to the family table
* Create a relation in the generic: new_parameter = old_parameter
* Regenerate generic
* Open family table and verify
* Assuming the table is populated with the proper values, remove the old parameter from the family table
* Delete the relation
* Delete the old parameter from the generic

Full disclosure: This is a theory, I've not actually tried this. Don't see why it wouldn't work, though.

Of course, this is made more problematic if the old parameter is used in relations or reported on a drawing anywhere.

--
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

May also require ModelCheck to be run in Batch mode.

You are correct that it can be done using model check. I do this on a regular bases with with Batch ModelCheck on supplier files.

Don Anderson

rrich
2-Guest

I finally got modelcheck to work.. well sort of. My problem was when I was testing I was trying to rename a parameter to D2. Apparently numbers are not acceptable for parameter names. So I changed to a name without a number and the model check report would pop up and under the parameter tab I can find the parameter rename specification and a button box asks me for rename or rename all. I click the button and it all works. But how do I get it to click the button automatically for me?

Ron

Hi Rich

ModelCheck can be tricky to learn, but once you have it, it is pretty
powerfull
You have to set MU_Enable to Y (config_init.mc)
Enables or disables the ModelUPDATE mode. ( Interactive mode)
If set to Y it will automatic update the models without asking user. This
is only working for changes where a user interaction is not needed.

> *To:* "-" <->
> *Sent:* Thursday, December 5, 2013 7:12 AM
> *Subject:* [proecad] - RE: Can you rename a Parameter??
>
>
>
> ModelCheck has a 'PARAM_RENAM' in the checks file (*.mch). I haven't
> used it but that would be my first attempt. I'm pretty sure it can't be
> done through the parameter interface...

Top Tags