cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Cannot Create a Full Round in Extrusion up to Surface

spete
5-Regular Member

Cannot Create a Full Round in Extrusion up to Surface

fullroundissue.JPG

I have an issue creating a full round.  I first created an Extrude UpTo Surface (white surfaces) from the green surface to the blue surface axial to the red cylindrical surface.  The extrusion is rectangular with the top edge tangent to the red cylindrical surface.  This worked as expected.

Then I attempted to create a full round, across the white side surfaces tangent to the blue surface.  This failed.  What seems to be the issue is the top transition, but I can't figure out why.  When I change the extrude to a blind value extrusion, and make it end just short of the blue surface, I have no issue, but as soon as the value causes the end of the extrusion to coincide with the blue surface, the transition issue arises.

Has anyone experienced this before?  Were you able to fix the transition issue?

5 REPLIES 5
Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:spete)

Because the second round you tried to create is NOT a full round from the sounds of it.

spete
5-Regular Member
(To:Patriot_1776)

Frank-

I created both rounds the same way, the only difference being the driving surface.  In the failed round the driving surface (also the end of the extrude) was the blue surface.  In the second round, it was the blind end of the extrusion, just thousands of an inch short of the blue surface.

The only thing I can think is that in the failed round, the end of the extrusion is much taller than the sides of the extrusion, which is pretty much not the case in the second round.

dschenken
21-Topaz I

I can see where this case would not work - the full round function is trying to replace the end surface, but in this case the blue surface can't be replaced, so the full round fails. In real parts, if you asked a machinist to do this, come right up to, but not touching the blue surface, he would not be happy. Deflection of the cutter would mean either stopping short, or gouging  the blue surface.

The alternative is to make the cut from the top down and include the full arc in the section, avoiding what is probably special handling in the full-round function.

Kevin
10-Marble

‌The error message I get say references for the round transition get redefined. Another solution is to define the extrude the same way you have done but make the feature a surface with capped ends, add the full round to the extrude surface, and solidify using the remove material option.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

I wasn't sure what geometry you wanted to create.  I thought you wanted an additional round in another axis, like the slot was ball-end milled.

Create the slot and round first, then revolve or extrude a cut to reduce the OD down to the size shown in red. 

Top Tags