cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Chamfer call out shown dimension

rsoundaran-2
1-Newbie

Chamfer call out shown dimension

When I create a shown dimension for a chamfer in a drawing the leader seem to be  fixed to an angle or its created with the Normal Leader Option. Is there a way to change it ? so that I could change it to Standard Leader Option ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mender
6-Contributor
(To:rsoundaran-2)

Ah, you want the leader to come in at an angle to the chamfer surface instead of perpendicular?  No, like a radial dimension, the leader line comes out perpendicular, and I believe this is required by standard.

However, you can show the dimension with the normal leader, then do Insert Note > With Leader, and make a note with a leader to the chamfer edge, at such angle as you like, with text "&d6" (where 6 is the dimension id, as seen in the dimension switched to symbolic when you are entering note text).  You may not get all the dimension formatting possibilities there, because it's a note, but it'll do what you want.

If you can point out any standard that supports putting the leader line at an angle, we could look to implementing that as an enhancement, being a third possibility for the chamfer style.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

If you have created the chamfer as Angle X D, then the dimension appears at an angle.

If you instead use D1 X D2 or D X  D then the dimension appear linear.

The issue is not with the Dimension call out it's more related to the leader line by itself. I am having trouble with the angle of the leader line.

Chris3
20-Turquoise

You can create a note with a leader and add the dimension into the note like this: &d0 where d0 is the dimension variable name found in the properties dialog box.

Having the leader be normal to the chamfer line was an enhancement added with the start of Creo I believe. I wouldn't be surprised if it was to be compliant with an ISO or other specification.

mender
6-Contributor

As noted, it depends on the type of chamfer.  The dimensions for a D1xD2 are linear+linear, for ANGxD are angular+linear. For DxD and 45xD, the display is driven by standard, some calling for a linear dimension and some for a leader line normal to the chamfer surface.  If you are following a standard that mixes elements from the usual standards, you may be interested in the detail setup options 'default_chamfer_text' and 'default_chamf_dim_configuration' to specify the text format and the leader vs. linear style.

Thanks for the detailed explanation Matthew, from this I infer that when I use the 45 X D config. for the chamfer with Leader style, it always defaults to normal to the chamfer surface in the drawing and it can not be changed. Is my understanding correct ?

mender
6-Contributor

Ah, you want the leader to come in at an angle to the chamfer surface instead of perpendicular?  No, like a radial dimension, the leader line comes out perpendicular, and I believe this is required by standard.

However, you can show the dimension with the normal leader, then do Insert Note > With Leader, and make a note with a leader to the chamfer edge, at such angle as you like, with text "&d6" (where 6 is the dimension id, as seen in the dimension switched to symbolic when you are entering note text).  You may not get all the dimension formatting possibilities there, because it's a note, but it'll do what you want.

If you can point out any standard that supports putting the leader line at an angle, we could look to implementing that as an enhancement, being a third possibility for the chamfer style.

dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:mender)

The converse is true - at least for ASME Y14.5M-1994, there is no requirement for the leader to be normal to the surface.

The use of a 45 X dimension (which per ASME s/b dimension X 45) is limited to 45 degree chamfers; all others are required to have a dimension that shows the length of at least one leg to avoid confusion as to which leg is being dimensioned. So 10 X 30º is not legal.

Top Tags