cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Change Center of Rotation when Exporting 3D PDF (PDF U3D) (Creo 2.0)

wjamieson
4-Participant

Change Center of Rotation when Exporting 3D PDF (PDF U3D) (Creo 2.0)

When I export a 3D PDF in Creo, the PDF file ends up having a center of rotation in a place far from the geometry, making viewing the geometry from different angles cumbersome. I know that the center of rotation can be changed while viewing the 3D PDF in Adobe Reader, however, I would like to make things easier for the end viewer by specifying the center of rotation before exporting the PDF U3D file. Does anyone know how to do this? I appreciate the help!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7

This discussion might point you in the right direction.

Re: To fix 3D PDF's made in Pro/E

The discussion Clint linked to did not resolve fixing this in Creo, but included instructions on fixing the views in Acrobat.  Check out this:  https://www.ptcusercommunity.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/201498-49492/FIX%203d%20pdf%27S-01.docx

"All,

Pro/E can create 3D PDF's, that should be viewable by anyone with Adobe reader. We had sent some out to various vendors etc. Previously it was a pain to view anything since the spin center was way off to the side. I found a way to make your 3D views centered where you want them. You have to make these changes in Adobe after the file has been created, not in Pro/E when you make it. These changes can be saved for the next person. The steps to create the file in Pro/E and modify the 3D PDF in Adobe are as follows:"

Also there was an idea submitted to fix it in Creo Fix Spin Center when Creating 3D PDF's

wjamieson
4-Participant
(To:dschenken)

I do not see the camera/plus sign as described in the document. Is he using Adobe Reader to modify the file? If Adobe Acrobat is required, I won't be able to utilize this method.

I would guess that since it's a document editing function - those are in Acrobat. I think it requires Acrobat Professional. Buying guide | Adobe Acrobat XI Pro is a comparison table.

Adobe has a 1 month free trial for Acrobat Pro. See their website PDF creator, edit PDF | Adobe Acrobat XI subscription

wjamieson
4-Participant

A lot of places don't provide licenses of Acrobat Pro for their engineers, my company is no exception. There needs to be a method in Creo for fixing this issue. If anyone knows a method of changing the center of rotation without having Acrobat Professional, please post it! Thanks.

Also look at Tetra4D Support for further details about Acrobat Pro. They also sell a convertor that can export from 3D PDF to common CAD formats, limited by the original conversion into 3D PDF. Tetra4D is related to Tech Soft 3D and is now the company Adobe depends on. Tetra4D Products

Also look at Adobe Acrobat Help | Acrobat Help under Multimedia and 3D models:

Setting 3D views in PDFs https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/setting-3d-views-pdfs.html

Interacting with 3D models Acrobat Help | Interacting with 3D models

Displaying 3D models in PDFs https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/displaying-3d-models-pdfs.html

Measuring 3D objects in PDFs

Commenting on 3D designs in PDFs

Playing video, audio, and multimedia formats in PDFs

(Too bad - if they won't buy the tools, they must not want the job done.)

eboer
5-Regular Member

Maybe a little late, but I had also a problem with the spincenter and accidentally clicked on a link from a drop-down in Adobe Reader. It refits the 3D model on the screen and fixes the spin center . Just open the modeltree and select "fit visible" from the dropdown (see screenshot, also added the popup with the version I use) fix_spincenter.png

Top Tags