cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Change Qty In Repeat Region To Read From Component Parameter Based On Unit Selection?

MORECREO
11-Garnet

Change Qty In Repeat Region To Read From Component Parameter Based On Unit Selection?

If I have a Repeat Region BOM, when I place it on an assembly drawing it uses rpt.qty to tally all the quantities. I also have a unit column that is set to EA by default.

In certain instances, I have a dumb part in my assembly with a hydraulic hose part number attached to it. But if I set my units to FT instead of EA and manually type in (8) in my quantity field in the part, the repeat region has no way of seeing this and since their is only one instance of it in my assembly, the Repeat Region BOM will say 1 ft?

Is their a way I can tell the Repeat Region that when the Unit Column is not set to EA, that it needs to read the quantity from the part file. Which I already have set to 8?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

When you say "dumb part", I assume you mean an empty part that you only use for part parameters and BOM tables.  If that is the case, you might look at Bulk Parts.  What you see in the picture below is all you get with bulk parts.  There is no 3D aspect to it at all.  The BOM_REPORT_QUANTITY does have a unit associated with it, which I assume can be reflected in the BOM table.  Do you have similar parts of varying lengths....create a family table.  Balloons can be created for bulk items and can be pointed at any surface on the drawing. 

aputman_0-1698864877448.png

aputman_1-1698865106140.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:MORECREO)

Use a repeat region relation. Add a parameter named QUANTITY, then use a relation for that part number to set the quantity to 8. In the BOM, use the parameter QUANTITY instead of rpt_qty.

Not sure this is the exact syntax, but it should get you started.

IF asm_mbr_name == "hose item name"
quantity = "8"
ELSE
quantity = rpt_qty
ENDIF

I have been unable to include any Repeat Region syntax in my part relations dialogue box. If that's possible, then I believe it would solve a lot of my current issues.

Example:      asm.mbr.name or rpt.qty always get an "invalid symbol" error when I use them.

Let me know what I'm doing wrong

Thank You!

REPEAT REGION relation. That is probably what I'm doing wrong. I'll look into that. Thanks!

When you say "dumb part", I assume you mean an empty part that you only use for part parameters and BOM tables.  If that is the case, you might look at Bulk Parts.  What you see in the picture below is all you get with bulk parts.  There is no 3D aspect to it at all.  The BOM_REPORT_QUANTITY does have a unit associated with it, which I assume can be reflected in the BOM table.  Do you have similar parts of varying lengths....create a family table.  Balloons can be created for bulk items and can be pointed at any surface on the drawing. 

aputman_0-1698864877448.png

aputman_1-1698865106140.png

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:MORECREO)

This might be a helpful discussion where I had to have 1/2 of a part in a BOM:

https://community.ptc.com/t5/3D-Part-Assembly-Design/1-2-of-a-part/m-p/100428#M93811

Top Tags