cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Changing files names in BOM

MSC12
1-Newbie

Changing files names in BOM

Hello. I am looking to find the right way you change the part names in a BOM.

Currently I have an assembly drawing with all the parts listed in a BOM as "Part Number" and Description. The description is editable but I dont know how to change the listed part number. We use windchill and ive tried changing the number, name, and file name in windchill in the hopes that it would update the BOM but I cant figure out a way to do it. If I could I would just do a "save a copy" and then try renaming all the files that way but the problem is I have drawings for individual parts in the assembly that I would not transfer over.

Any suggestions?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4
GabrielZaha
12-Amethyst
(To:MSC12)

It really depends on what the BOM table is reading for the Part number. Use the Switch Symbol command and take a look at the table header.

If in the part number column you see "asm.mbr.name" then is reading the actual file name. In this case you can rename the components to the new number. Make sure you have the drawing in session in the same time to keep the associativity between the model and the drawing.

If the part number column is reading a parameter in the model you should see in the table header something like "asm.mbr.$$$$$$" where $$$$$ stands for the parameter that is read. In this case you shoul be able to edit the number directly.

We are not using Windchill, so I can't give any suggestion how this can be done in windchill.

The parts are listed as "asm.mbr.name" so how do I change the names? I open the assembly drawing so all the parts automatically go into my session but non of them reflect the new numbers I gave them in windchill

dschenken
21-Topaz I

You need to synch the workspace for any name changes to be performed in Commonspace to be seen locally.

Also, did you Rename in Commonspace? Unclear from your description as there's no 'give new number' function.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Gabriel has hit it with the BOM table attributes that are used to drive the table.

You need to figure out which parameter is driving the table Part Number field and then adjust the information in each detail part.

In our BOM, we use a parameter that is derived from the part name. If we need to change the parameter, we go to the part file itself and change the parameter in the relations as the BOM parameter is driven with a relation.

Top Tags