cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Color-loss occured when I export my design to WaveFront(.obj) file using Creo

ptc-6508780
1-Newbie

Color-loss occured when I export my design to WaveFront(.obj) file using Creo

Hello everyone,

I have finished my design with Creo. For rendering purpose, I have to export my design to WaveFront .obj file. The obj file is correct, but the corresponding mtl file (defines the feature of materials) seems wrong. The output mtl file always only has Kd, which defined the diffusion color in mtl format. Other parameters, such Ka, Ks, Ns are not exported correctly. Is there any problems/bugs with Creo, or should I turn on some options?

Thank you for your advice.

Boshen

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

Welcome to the forum, Boshen.

I was playing with some VRML exports yesterday and I noticed colors were being substituted. Creo does look at color difference to see if they should be combined. This is a very old feature in the render engine when number of colors had memory implications. It seems to limit the number of colors the export formats will take on.

I don't know how .obj files work. If they are anything like VRML, you can manually change the color with a simple text editor. The only reason I know this is that I have done several years of VRML manipulation for efficient files in virtual worlds. And I can tell you that the VRML export was not even close to the color defined in Creo although the appropriate parameters are exported.

If the .obj files are simple text, and you have access to the standard for these files, you may be able to do a lot more with them as well, including applying textures, smoothing, and other useful features. Do not expect Creo to make use of the power that each standard allows.

Top Tags