cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Combining Simp rep with constrain

sloman
1-Newbie

Combining Simp rep with constrain

Is there a way to combine a simp rep whit a constrain? This is the situation:

I have an assembly, a base plate nr. 1 with 4 wheels. This is simp rep A

Simp rep B is base plate nr. 2 whit the same 4 wheels, but on a different location.

In a simp rep I can exclude the base plate I don’t want to see. In the constrains I can make 2 sets, base plate 1 and base plate 2. It would be nice that when I activate simp rep 1, the wheels “jump” to constrain set 1 (base plate 1) and when I activate simp rep 2, the wheels “jump” to constrain set 2 (base plate 2)

Or am I thinking to difficult?

If you do not have a response of me in a short time, it is because my working day is over!

Stefan

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5
vzak
6-Contributor
(To:sloman)

Hi,

There is no straight way to do this, and the reason is that simplified representation is a simplification tool, not a configuration tool (though sometimes it is really used as such). As a simplification tool it is desired for On / Off actions. In theory you can completely "overload" your assembly (200% assembly) with plate_1 + 4 weels_1 / plate_2 + 4 weels_2 and switch the whole bunch on / off - but then this is fully duplicated design, no much difference from having 2 separate assemblies.

The right tool to get what you want is Family Table for assembly, where you can Replace plate_1 with plate_2 and with correct mapping all the weels will "jump" to respectively mapped plate_2 interfaces. If plate_2 is not a family instance of plate_1 then such linkage can be done by Interchange assembly.

Regards

- Vlad

BillRyan
15-Moonstone
(To:vzak)

I am fairly confident that most companies with assemblies containing 2 or more axles on a chassis are NOT using family tables at the top level. If your assembly is not going to have any other components than the ones listed than family table may be a good solution.

Another alternative is to use the gathering assembly/150% overloaded approach with coordinate systems. Create one assembly for the tires where a common interface is defined(center axis of wheel and mating surface at hub). Add the tire to this assembly and other tires to the same coordinate system and use simp reps for each variant of wheel. Now create another assembly called chassis and add your plates to it(create simp reps for each variant). At this point you have two assemblies to maintain and control your "orderable components". Now you need placement control between the systems. Create a top level assembly called wheels_n_chassis. I see your plate as the backbone to which all other components will assemble to. Basically it can have one locator coordinate system. As an example define the bottom surface at center and middle of the plate as "Home Base". I prefer location control to be in the highest level assembly. There are many options at this point to locate tires and turn them on using simplified reps. You can use a skeleton with coordinate systems or add coordinate systems representing the tire location directly to the top level assembly. After assembling the tires to the proper combinations the setup is complete. I know this is a lot of upfront work, but the value of having position controlled in one location while minimizing the number of assemblies containing the orderable parts is very valuable. You can have an infinite number of tires managed in one assembly. As a bonus, use the feature name column to define the conditions of use for each wheel in the top level assembly as this will make it easier to manage simp reps.

I started this morning with some video tutorials of the interchange assemblies. As I can see it really is a solution of my problem.

When I wanted to start assembling on my Creo, I found out that we need an additional licence for this feature. @#$@#

Thanks for the help so far. I will contact our dealer and see what the cost are, grrr.

vzak
6-Contributor
(To:sloman)

Stefan,

if your plate_1 and plate_2 can be modeled as family table instances (i.e. if they vary slightly, say in a few dimensions / features) then you may manage just fine yet without Interchange assembly, since same family instances carroy over all mapping information automatically. if plates are complete different then you might have no other choice ...

Regards

- Vlad

sloman
1-Newbie
(To:vzak)

Hoi Vlad,

The base plate and the wheel where a simple example. The parts I want to assemble are a lot different from each other. I will wait what our dealer has to offer.

Stefan

Top Tags