cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Composite Curves and Surface Tangency

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

Composite Curves and Surface Tangency

WF4, M190

I think I know the answer here, but thought I'd ping the group to see if
there's something I'm missing.

When building a boundary surface, it is often advantageous to create an
approximate composite curve (copy) of your driving curves and build from
that rather than the original curve feature. This eliminates all the
internal vertexes in the curves that create internal edges in the
boundary surface and frequently results in a 'cleaner' surface.

However, if you need tangency to adjacent surfaces, there's no way to
define tangency from the single composite curve to the multiple adjacent
surfaces. So there's no way, that I've found, to use the approximate
composite curves to get a smoother form and maintain tangency to
multiple adjacent surfaces. Is that correct, or am I missing something?

Doug Schaefer

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
1 REPLY 1

Doug,

You are correct. The approximate curve removes your ability to specify a tangency condition across the surface boundary. However, if you have the ability to redefine your older surface to use the new approximate curve...you are laughing. I use this technique often when I need to get the surface "sweet" and correct.

Secondly, just food for thought. In order to have the ability to specify the tangency across the boundary using exact curves, your vertices should be coincident for both surfaces. I have had very limited "random" situations where I was able to specify C1, with the "pieces" not lining up explicitly. but that was a case of being lucky, not good.

Dean

Top Tags