cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Concurrent Update of Model Material Condition And Drawing

ptc-2157708
1-Newbie

Concurrent Update of Model Material Condition And Drawing

Hi Experts, I recently was looking into the use of a function which will simultaneously update the physical model, as well as provide an update to the stated tolerance. The Dim bound does succesfully update the model, however the user must be careful to set the model back to its nominal condition to avoid conflicts at upper level assemblies after this process. Is there any available functionality that will perform the following updates: Assume initial condition 50 +/- 1, if you set to upper limit, it will update the model to showing 51, and subsequently update the tolerance to 51 +0/-2. This way the proE part matches the engineering drawing. Additionally, is there an alternative smart feature which allows ProE to determine whether the dimension governs the interior or exterior portion of the material envelope (I.E. automatic generation of the MMC/LMC condition of the part) to set the update rather than to the upper/lower limit of the tolerance to the LMC/MMC condition of the component? My primary interest of completing these state changes is to complete FEA analysis of fairly complex parts at the LMC condition. Regards, David Engel
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

Are you asking if Pro/E can create a smart feature that can determine the MMC or LMC of a dimension, depending if the FOS is an interior or exterior dimension?

I think what you are asking Is there any way to to tell pro/e to automatically generate/update to the LMC condition of a part, without going through the dimensions and doing it manually. Since the LMC will be just the opposite depending whether a dimension is an exterior or interior dimension. I don't have a clue, but pro/e seems to be capable of doing anything.

"Engel David" wrote:

My primary interest of completing these state changes is to complete FEA analysis of fairly complex parts at the LMC condition. Regards, David Engel

David, I don't think this is "menu-available" as a simple function that can intelligently sort dimensions for increase and decrease autonomously. I can visualize it being done with a series of conditional relations after you had specifically stipulated which dimensions were to increase and which decrease. How much are you willing to do in that regard? You did say that you're dealing with "fairly complex parts". A couple other possibilities: You could create a copy of your part (maybe Backup to a specific FEM-analysis directory) and change necessary values there for analysis only. You could also create a Family Table version of your part with columns for critical dimensions and tolerances. However, any of these methods would be pretty time consuming with more than a few critical dimensions to deal with. David

Hello I tried doing a least mass optimization study, and it worked. Not having tried this before, I created a block with a few holes, and slots in it, then created a mass analysis feature in the model tree, then ran an optimization study to minimize the mass(or you can use volume). I gave the dimensions a high and low value, and ran compute. All the dimensions came back as LMC.

All, Thank you for your feedback. I was able to use the volume/mass properties as described to be able to limit minimize/maximize the physical size of the part. The optimization study appears to be a bit simpler to navigate, and reduces the opportunity for errors. Thanks and Regards, David Engel
Top Tags