cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Convert PRT to ASM feature.

LeeCasey
1-Newbie

Convert PRT to ASM feature.

Hi, I know this feature has been requested many times in the past, it may well have been implemented and I just don't know about it.

I spend a lot of time creating a part then creating an assembly and assembling that part to the assembly via the default co-ord sys. Is there a way / feature which allows me to simply convert my part into the assembly, specifying a name for the assembly obviously.

Thanks

Lee

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
8 REPLIES 8
CM10
1-Newbie
(To:LeeCasey)

Why would you even WANT to do that? A part is a part, and an assembly would naturally contain MORE than one part, maybe just a part and a "bulk" part (paint, oil, etc.). I've never seen a way to "convert". Again, why?

LeeCasey
1-Newbie
(To:CM10)

You have misunderstood I think....

Example.

Create framework.prt

now I have a frame work part, I wish to add panels to the frame work. If I were to create an assembly. The framework.prt would be the first part I would assemble to it.

Rather than creating a new assembly then adding the framework.prt to it, what I would like is this.....

from framework.prt - > convert to asm -> be prompted for an asm name (lets say framework_asm.asm) - then it automatically opens the asm and the framework.prt is already pre-assembled via the default co-ord sys.

So in your directory you now have framework.prt AND framework_asm.asm.

Its basically saving you the monotonous duty of creating an assembly and assembling the first part to it via the co-ord sys.

CM10
1-Newbie

You can create a "skeleton" part, or an inheritance part and use that to control all the parts in your assembly. Or, as I sometimes do, simply create the "skeleton" type features (curves, etc.) in the assembly itself and use those references to control all the parts and do NOT use reference from one part to another, only from the assy to the part. To my knowledge, you can't "convert" to compensate for a change in plans or poor initial planning.

Good luck.

LeeCasey
1-Newbie
(To:CM10)

You are still completely missing my point. Nevermind.

CM10
1-Newbie

I would have to then say what you want to do is not possible (or desired), which is why nobody responded to it.

Good luck finding a method that works...........

Thinking out loud here.

What if you were to create a blank assembly first (framework.asm) and then create it's first member

(framework.prt) from within the already open assembly window.

Then when you save you should have both a PART and an ASSEMBLY on disk.

As they say in marketing, No Assembly Required

Guys,

I think you have been having a conversation at cross purposes because of Lee's use of the word "Convert". If I'm not mistaken, what you want to do, Lee, is automatically create an assembly after finishing its first component part and have that part placed in the Default location. Yes? If that is the case, you can create a mapkey to take out most of the "drudgery" that is bothering you. If you always want this operation to name the new assembly the same thing as the part, that's not so easy. However, if you put two pauses into your mapkey (for typing in the name of the new assembly, and its first part), the rest will be automatic. [Allowing for the new Assembly to have an independent name will really give you a more flexible--and useful--mapkey.]

David

@Lee,

Open a new assembly, Insert Component, Create, Part, Copy From Existing (and use your standard Start Part), Ok, Click somewhere in the screen, choose Default and the new, blank component is placed in the assembly. Activate the new part from the model tree and start building your geometry within that part.

A

Top Tags