cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Convert PRT to SKEL

Wilson
4-Participant

Convert PRT to SKEL

Hi,
I got "Master" file (prt) and I want to convert it to skel without external ref.

Is it possible?

10 REPLIES 10
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:Wilson)

There is no easy answer for this but for the most part, fabrication of fitted pipes is pretty much what the Creo operations do.   For normal edges you need to have the sheet metal functionality.  That might be another fish you don't want to fry.  I'd say scribe the inside and the outside and run a sweep through both.

BHOoi
15-Moonstone

Please share your file in Creo2 or in step/iges so that I can understand better your intent. Thanks

Wilson
4-Participant
(To:BHOoi)

Here it is. The one from the picture (worst case) and another with a more common geometry.

Forgot to say I'm using Creo 4.

BHOoi
15-Moonstone

I approached this using surfaces:

1. Create the outer surface of the pipe

2. trim sut using the outer edge

3. Thicken it to the correct thickness (1.25). With this , the cut is perfectly normal to both outer and inner surface.

Is this what you wanted to do?Capture.JPG

I attached here the Creo2 files for your reference.

Wilson
4-Participant

Pretty close, trimming this surface with both the inner and outer edges would be perfect, if possible.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

I just did the surface to test the normal condition.

It is a simple thickened surface.  You choose how to define it.  Point is to define a surface model with the completed cuts and then thicken the tube.

Wilson
4-Participant

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

What you're talking about is NOT always normal to the surface if you mean the surface of the tube you have shown.  It's more a boolian operation of a cylinder removed from the tube shown in the diamater of the tube it mates with that you haven't shown.  This should be easy if the tubes are of a constant round cross section.  I would model all these tubes top-down using trajectory curves in the center of the circular cross section that you can use later to sweep cuts along to get the shapes you want.

What is suggested follows my earlier suggestion... using sheet-metal functionality.

Sheet-metal does just that; creating thickened surfaces.

The attached file proves that these surfaces are normal. 

I projected and pulled an extended surface to the centerline.

(Creo 2.0 commercial file attached)

thicken.PNG

Wilson
4-Participant
(To:Patriot_1776)

It is indeed a removed cylinder, and if I understand how Framework works, the geometries are generated from trajectories and constant cross-sections. The problem is that the resulting geometry is not suitable for simple laser-cutting machines as they cannot cut angled to the surface.

Top Tags