cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Create phantom parts/assemblies like in Inventor/Solidworks?

bs�rensen
1-Newbie

Create phantom parts/assemblies like in Inventor/Solidworks?

Hello everyone,

I was wondering how you can create phantoms like I did all the time in Inventor and Creo. I want them to work this way:

-Parts marked as phantom do not show up in the structure view in Windchill - or on Creo 2D boms of assemblies containing it.

-Assemblies marked as phantom, automatically expands into parts/subassemblies on the structure and BOMs, of assemblies containing this sub-assembly - marked as phantom.

All this is super usefull for having phantom skeletons or similar in assemblies without them messing with your BOMs. Phantom assemblies are greate for quick workflow.

Is this possible?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

‌From what I understand of phantom parts and their use in Inventor and Solidworks and how the created the equivalent is done using Windchill. I haven't used it so I don't know the details of getting it to work. Doing a search turned up a link to Windchill Phantom Assembly Infrastructure which as I understand it is what you're looking for. It's only an overview of the Windchill functionality and use but it's a starting point.

I looked this up - https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2014/ENU/Inventor/files/GUID-A0A95805-CBF6-4524-8314-4AC8B53C19CF-htm.html

Hard to see a replacement in Creo/Windchill as it seems like Autodesk is trying to embed a PDM into Inventor.

dcokin
13-Aquamarine
(To:bs�rensen)

Are you creating you BOM's in Windchill PDMLink, or on Creo drawings via tables with repeat regions?

If you're using PDMLink you're in luck.  What you describe as "phantom parts", sounds like what PDMLink calls "gathering parts".  Create the WT Part records as normal, based on your CAD hierarchy.  Edit the WT Parts for the phantoms and change the "Gathering part" toggle to "yes".  They will take on a special icon, and will not show up in BOM reports for items they're placed in.  Instead, their contents will appear in the report, as if they were directly in the parent.

In case you or anyone else is confused...  PDMLink is actually CAD agnostic; it's designed to also work with CATIA, etc. So the BOM reports aren’t directly based on CAD hierarchy.  CAD models get associated to 'Part' records which hold all the metadata (we informally call these records "WT Parts" as the word "part" is too ambiguous in conversation).  You can even have various CAD Parts linked to the same WT Part, if there are models of the same thing in different states.  If all goes well, checking in CAD models will update the hierarchy of associated WT Parts.

We had a 3rd party vendor create a tool to create PDFs of BOMs that match a legacy company format. Unfortunately, it doesn't respect the "gathering part" toggle, so we can't take advantage of this feature. I'd like to get it supported, as I see a few use cases where this could be really handy to stay organized, but it's seen as a low priority.

I haven't done much with repeat regions, and never create a BOM with one, so I can't offer specific advice if you're putting BOMs on the face of drawings..  But, I'd investigate the filters.  Maybe the BOM by default could include everything in the current level, plus one level down.  A filter removes any item that has parameter "phantom_part=yes", or any item who's parent has "phantom_part=no".  (Just and thought; no idea if it's viable.)

Good luck.

Top Tags