cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Create solid models from .dwg files.

ptc-5162209
1-Newbie

Create solid models from .dwg files.

Hello all, I am new to Creo and am having trouble with one component. I am looking for a step by step tutorial/video/instruction on how to take a .dwg file and turn it into a solid model. I have looked to youtube but the explanation was not detailed enough for me. Do I need to setup the files in a folder that Creo can access and then attempt to make the part? Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated because it has been extremely frustrating for me.

Thanks

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

--> open dwg file in autocad.

-->save as .dxf format...

-->go to part module.

--> sketcher

-->then click FILE DATA SYSTEM and import drawig location.

((tell me later if you need video tut.))

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Go to you help files and type in "3D from 2D".

You will get a few pages to review regarding Legacy Migration.

I know nothing about it and I have no clue as to the limitations.

Logically, the process would be to open the 2D file and making it a Creo drawing.

If you have luck with this, let us know.

...and welcome to the forum

--> open dwg file in autocad.

-->save as .dxf format...

-->go to part module.

--> sketcher

-->then click FILE DATA SYSTEM and import drawig location.

((tell me later if you need video tut.))

Good point, Jehan. I am thinking of converting 3 views to a 3D model.

Jehan is considering a view that is a direct extrude section (or even revolve).

yes exactly sir i am telling for a single view only. But we can use copy paste and arrange other views accordingly i guess???

Thank you for the feedback and I will try it later today. I will also upload what I am working on so that you can see it as well.

yes great i am waiting

I tried it out on a simple part and it worked. Thank you. Now on the bigger stuff.

Also, you do not need to convert to .dwf file. Creo can open the .dwg file and edit that as necessary.

how to get .dwg in sketcher???it shows me error 😮

This is not unusual. Sketcher is trying to apply the solver to the import. If the sketch is too complicated it will throw out an error which you normally continue from.

If you need a complex sketch simplified, open it as a drawing, clean up the geometry and export it again as a DXF. Now you can open it in sketcher.

>>file

>>open

>>select the .dwg file you want to open

>>on "import new model", select part and use automatic templates

>>click okay and the file opens as an editable drawing.

>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3ah5gibmYE

>> use the above link for more detail. It has no soud but I kinda pieced it together from information you gave me and trial and error. This method works a little better for me.

thanks for the share

Great video, Damian.

What are you using for capture software?

Creo has a tool autobuildZ to create 3D models from 2D drawings. Information in the help files and the knowledge base (videos).

You enable it by autobuildz_enabled yes in your config.pro

Reinhard

I knew there was a specific way to do this. Is this were the Legacy Migration leads or is this totally separate?

Never needed it but good to know about it. Thanks Reinhard!

did a search in the help files. Never found out where they have hidden it.

Reinhard

edit:

The disadvantage is you get a dumb block but you can redifine each feature.

That would be true in the case of manually projecting curves into sketches as well.

Top Tags