cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Creating Geometry under Surface Features?

ptc-5262290
1-Newbie

Creating Geometry under Surface Features?

I have a set of surface features created from Creo's Welding Application that connect different parts in my assembly. I was wondering if it was possible to easily create geometry under the surface region between the surface feature and the part below. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

Easily? Sort of.

1. Create a part within your assembly....call it P/N_welds or something.
  2. Create copy geometry of the weld features (you can skip from 1 directly to step 4 if you prefer to create external references...just activiate the above part within the assembly context and select the surfaces directly) and required assembly surfaces.
  3. Create copies of those surfaces (optional, this step avoids inadvertent coloring driven by copy geoms)
  4. Create thicken features. You may have to quickly clean it up with drafts, surface offset replaces, solidify removes, etc. and/or extrudes, etc.

As a separate part it can be useful to compare weld volume, weight, etc...although taken with a grain of salt when compared to the real world. From there you can create a weldment "part" by doing a merge so you have one part that represents an entire weldment for post weld/heat-treat machining, etc. if you so choose.

Hope that helps.

Top Tags