cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Creating a drawing with different units

davidirwin
4-Participant

Creating a drawing with different units

I have a part model and drawing that are in metric and cannot be edited. I need to create an English version of the drawing that is driven by the metric model (if there are any changes to the metric model I want them to show up in the English drawing). I have tried doing a "save as" on the drawing and turning on just the secondary units, but while I am in the drawing the part is being "edited." I say "edited" because I can make changes within the model tree while in the drawing, but when i close the drawing and part and reopen the drawing it is back to the way it was when I copied it. I also will need to make adjustments to the GD&T on the English version, which will likely have to be made in the model. Is there a way to create a separate English model that is completely driven by the metric model through relations? I feel like this would be the best way to do this but i am unsure how to do it. 

I am using Creo 3.0.

2 REPLIES 2
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:davidirwin)

To make the second drawing

1. Make the new drawing

2. Change the config.pro option CREATE_DRAWING_DIMS_ONLY YES

3. Change to secondary units

4. Create all your dims (you can't use shown dimensions if you don't want the model to be changed)

5. Re-create your GD&T in the drawing (you can't use the model GD&T if you don't want the model to be changed)

davidirwin
4-Participant
(To:StephenW)

I chose to use the merge/inheritance tool.  This works out nicely because the English model is driven by the metric model. But I can also change certain dimensions and features. Which is necessary given different manufacturing practices between plants.

Top Tags