cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Creating multiple subassemblies with the same name

cadbart
10-Marble

Creating multiple subassemblies with the same name

Hi, I'm working with Creo 3.0 and inside my main assembly I have the structure like that:

- Main Assembly
    - Component 1
    - Component 2
    - Component 1
    - Component 2
    - Component 1
    - Component 2

All "Component 1" (also "Component 2") occurrences mean the same part for that name. The only difference is between constrains of those components and their placing inside the main assembly.
I'd like to put Component 1 and Component 2 into new Subassembly e.g. Subassembly_1 for each occurrences but I cannot do this because of name failure (I cannot create another subassembly with that name). So my dreamed structure is something like this:

- Main Assembly
   -Subassembly_1
       - Component 1

- Component 2
   -Subassembly_1
       - Component 1

- Component 2
   -Subassembly_1
       - Component 1

- Component 2

Can I achieve this in Creo 3.0? Thank you in advance for each replies!

6 REPLIES 6
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:cadbart)

I assume you are trying to use the "move to new assembly" option and as you said, you can't create the "same name" assembly more than once.

Assuming your model is as simple as you show, create the sub-assembly the first time, then re-assemble the again for the next 2 versions, then delete the original components that would have been in the next 2 sub-assemblies.

BUT,,I suspect your example is highly simplified for illustration purposes.

If I had a complicated assembly with lots of reference and I wanted to this, I would:

1. Create the sub-assy using the first 2 components. 

2. create the second and third and forth and... sub assy's using dummy names.

3. pre-select the dummy assys, then use the replace command and replace by unrelated component, select "edit ref table",  use the evaluate option and it should grab all your expected references.

4. complete the replace.

Steve, thank you for your reply! Your way seems to be very well solution but what subassembly's creation method am I supposed to use? I'm working on STEP file and 

• when I use Empty creation method (during creating new subassembly) and I try your solution by replacing, my dummy assy correctly changes its name but its position is also changed.
  • when I use Locate default datums method:
    • and Three planes method then I have to choose the planes after confirming replace command - it takes long enough.
    • and Align csys to csys method and (during creating new subassy) I choose main assy csys as a reference then the result is the same as when I used Empty creation method - dummy assy's position is changed.
StephenW
23-Emerald II

Ah, step files. Since they don't have "real" references, that makes it more difficult.

Most important is to keep the components locations consistent use the creation method that keeps them located as expected in the new sub-assy.

I can't think of a good way to get the additional sub-assy's placed without using a completely manual process for placement. The replace command works well for normal creo assemblies with references.

Assembling the additional sub-assy's using "component 1"  (or 2) coord systems would likely be quickest. I would probably assemble them and then delete the constraints and then change to the fix assembly constraint so I could delete the unwanted components afterwards.

Yes, since then I had some another situations when I need to replace the components working on STEP files... And if you ask me I think the best way to replace the components while working on STEPS is to make it manually. Thank you for your reply anyway! I've got some another question. Are you THIS Steve Williams - the tutor from Creo Parametric YouTube channel? 🙂 

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Nope, I'm not a youtube guy, just a creo user for the last 25+ years.

Ok, I've mistaken you for someone else 🙂 Greetings!

Top Tags