cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Creo 4.0 M010 - Extrude to Surface, then Offset

rsoukup
13-Aquamarine

Creo 4.0 M010 - Extrude to Surface, then Offset

Hi Everyone,

I have been doing some testing on Creo 4.0 M010 this week, and really find that the Extrude to Surface, then Offset to be a very nice functionality that has been added (great job PTC).  We design many extruded parts that are typically extruded to a common plane, then depending on the usage, can have material added past that plane, or have material removed from that datum plane, and this is EXACTLY what we needed to accomplish this without using end cuts or having to use a Blind dimension instead of using the datum plane reference.  Again, for extruded parts, this is incredible.

That said, we have many of our products designed in SheetMetal, and at times, we replace extruded parts with formed SheetMetal parts, and design similarly.  So after I had seen this functionality within Solid Part mode, I also wanted to see whether this worked in SheetMetal mode.  The basic end extrude is the same setup as solid mode, and if you are extruding a surface, this acts the exact same way as solid mode.  Now, once you toggle this over to be thickened (as you would expect to do in sheet metal parts), the offset option when extruding to surface is removed.  See attached images and below screenshots.

3) Sheetmetal Extrude - Surface Only.png

4) Sheetmetal Extrude - Thickened.png

Is there a reason that this would be removed from SheetMetal?  Or is this simply a bug?  Seems to me that it should be available, and we would really make great use of this functionality if it were also available in SheetMetal.

I also captured the attached video if it helps explain and demonstrate a little more clearly.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mahesh_Sharma
22-Sapphire I
(To:rsoukup)

Randy,

Behavior you mentioned is a current limitation in application, possibly this may enhance in newer version of Creo. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
creodential
5-Regular Member

I can confirm that behaviour. Bug or feature? Hard to tell, since "offset" is still available in Sheemetal - but if you use that on surfaces in Sheetmetal you'll end up with something totally different. To me, this is a job for the the PTC support.

ScreenShot00451.png

Mahesh_Sharma
22-Sapphire I

Randy,

Behavior you mentioned is a current limitation in application, possibly this may enhance in newer version of Creo. 

rsoukup
13-Aquamarine
(To:Mahesh_Sharma)

I submitted this as ticket C13693486 on PTC Support site, and they said that this would be added functionality on a future rollout of Creo Parametric, and recommended that I add this as a Product Idea.  I just sent that off.

Creo 4.0 M010 - Make Extrude to Surface, then Offset available in SheetMetal

Mahesh_Sharma
22-Sapphire I

Randy,

Vote your own idea.

Top Tags