cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Creo Schematics 4.0: Name is not unique, please use a different part number

MP_10089006
4-Participant

Creo Schematics 4.0: Name is not unique, please use a different part number

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask for help with Schematics 4.0, there does not appear to be section dedicated to Schematics and 3D part & Assembly Design seems to be the most active subcategory here.

In Schematics, I found that when I go to create a new block artifact (Diagramming tab -> Catalog Explorer). In here, I have blocks selected. In the leftmost folder tree view, I have Blocks/Components/NewComponent open. Most other  folders have a partially green filled square which seems to indicate they are library symbols that cannot be edited, while ones without are custom symbols in my particular schematic.

In this Block Folder; Blocks/Components/NewComponent , I right clicked the folder to add new item. In the middle section gave the component a fitting name, then right clicked on it to add shape. I added 2 shapes. I realized when creating the second symbol that the name has to be unique at the block symbol and not the sheet symbol. For instance, if I create 2 Blockshapes, I cannot have the same name for a port in each shape, even though they are separate symbols / sheets.

For the purpose of refactoring, I ended up deleting one of them that happened to feature a port with <name> parameter "3" (or maybe, "#" and serial number 3, I don't remember). In the one I want to keep, I can not add an AUTOPORT with the <name> of "3" or any format that evaluates to "3".

I suspect this is a bug. Port "3" no longer exists, it was part of a block shape that had been deleted in the catalog explorer. I tried following guidance on PTS support page "Reset Serial Numbers in Automatically Generated Names" but this did not appear to fix the issue.

I also had a similar issue where if I delete ports in a a block sheet then go to add new ones, the new ones cannot be named what the old ones were. Although on my most recent attempt I was not able to demonstrate this behavior to a co-worker and it worked as expected. Strange.

2 REPLIES 2

@MP_10089006 wrote:

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask for help with Schematics 4.0, there does not appear to be section dedicated to Schematics and 3D part & Assembly Design seems to be the most active subcategory here.

In Schematics, I found that when I go to create a new block artifact (Diagramming tab -> Catalog Explorer). In here, I have blocks selected. In the leftmost folder tree view, I have Blocks/Components/NewComponent open. Most other  folders have a partially green filled square which seems to indicate they are library symbols that cannot be edited, while ones without are custom symbols in my particular schematic.

In this Block Folder; Blocks/Components/NewComponent , I right clicked the folder to add new item. In the middle section gave the component a fitting name, then right clicked on it to add shape. I added 2 shapes. I realized when creating the second symbol that the name has to be unique at the block symbol and not the sheet symbol. For instance, if I create 2 Blockshapes, I cannot have the same name for a port in each shape, even though they are separate symbols / sheets.

For the purpose of refactoring, I ended up deleting one of them that happened to feature a port with <name> parameter "3" (or maybe, "#" and serial number 3, I don't remember). In the one I want to keep, I can not add an AUTOPORT with the <name> of "3" or any format that evaluates to "3".

I suspect this is a bug. Port "3" no longer exists, it was part of a block shape that had been deleted in the catalog explorer. I tried following guidance on PTS support page "Reset Serial Numbers in Automatically Generated Names" but this did not appear to fix the issue.

I also had a similar issue where if I delete ports in a a block sheet then go to add new ones, the new ones cannot be named what the old ones were. Although on my most recent attempt I was not able to demonstrate this behavior to a co-worker and it worked as expected. Strange.

Hi,

if you have active maintenance support at PTC, please ask PTC Support.

Martin Hanák

I would have gone that route if I had the option. Do you have a suggestion of what I could try?

Top Tags