cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Creo Simulate - Restricted to 5 frames for static stress results animation (assembly fea analysis)

danderson
11-Garnet

Creo Simulate - Restricted to 5 frames for static stress results animation (assembly fea analysis)

Good Day All,

I hope I'm missing something, Are we restricted to 8 frames of animation in the results window?

I'm trying to animate the results from an static Creo 2 Simulate analysis (mechanica) run on a assembly.

When I go to set up the number of frames it only allows 5 frames, no more and no less than 8.

Anyone else run into this?

Thanks,

Don Anderson

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Don,

I assume that you are running a non-linear analysis, is that correct? If that is the case, then if Simulate were to support animating more frames than were computed, then the results shown between the computed frames would be an approximate linear interpolation. Is that the functionality you are requesting?

(For those new to Simulate, if you run a linear static analysis, then you can animate many linearly interpolated frames in Results.)

Tad Doxsee

PTC

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
346gnu
12-Amethyst
(To:danderson)

Don,

Isn't it 1 set of results per time step, (no interpolating between time steps).

Your 4 steps plus a 0th?

Charles,

Yes to your question.

My issue is the system will only allow you to show animation frames of 0 plus the number of load steps you specified in the analysis.

If you specify one load step you get frames for step 0 and step 1. This makes it vary hard and computer resource demanding to trouble shoot large assembly fea analysis.

Wish they would give us the ablitity to specify more frames to animate without having to add additional load steps.

Don

Hi Don,

I assume that you are running a non-linear analysis, is that correct? If that is the case, then if Simulate were to support animating more frames than were computed, then the results shown between the computed frames would be an approximate linear interpolation. Is that the functionality you are requesting?

(For those new to Simulate, if you run a linear static analysis, then you can animate many linearly interpolated frames in Results.)

Tad Doxsee

PTC

Hi Tad,

Yes, You are correct in what you said above.

I would like the ability to display approximate linear interpolation for the frames that were not specified in the non-linear analysis where animation frames are limited to the load steps specified in the analysis.

This will allow me to quickly focus on the issue geometry and create a fix so I can then later run a more through non-linear analysis with multiple load steps while save computing resources early on in the design process.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

You understood my needs exactly.

Don Anderson

Don,

Good, I'm glad I got it right. I can't promise anything, but I've added your request to our requirements database.

Tad Doxsee

PTC

346gnu
12-Amethyst
(To:TadDoxsee)

In WF4, contact model results could be animated over any number of frames (provided a multiple of 4) regardless of number of loading intervals..

This wasn't always the case, in earlier versions (can't remember how much earlier); one could only animate between 0 and 1 or the results intervals where there were full results calculated. (WF4, full results option is greyed other than for load factor=1)

I ran a simple contact model in WF4:

1 loadstep then animated over 12 frames.

4 load intervals and animated over 12 frames

I have always assumed that this was linearly interpolated.

For both cases, the results from WF4 viewed in Creo2, animation is 8 frames with the number of frames not editable.

Creo2 then animates with 8 frames - This must be interpolating?

Charles

In WF 4, Mechanica supported contact with only small deformations. Back then, for animating results, we linearly interpolated the frames between the start and end conditions, even if the user generated results at itermediate steps. For small deformations, that approximation isn't too bad.

If you open the WF 4 model into Creo 1.0 or 2.0, then you can still animate via linear interpolation between start and end conditions. (But you are limited to 8 steps, as you noted. I'm not sure why that's the case.)

When we introduced contact with large deformations in Creo 1.0, we merged the contact results functionality with the large deformation results functionality. This allows you to see the actual deformed shape at various time steps (assuming you asked for full results at those time steps). Thus, for both large and small deformation, you can compute full results at user-specified times, and then animate the results at those times, without linear interpolation.

I agree that it would be nice to linearly interpolate between the computed results time steps and we will consider adding the functionality to a future release.

Tad Doxsee

PTC

Top Tags