cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Cross hatching a section in an assembly

GrahameWard
5-Regular Member

Cross hatching a section in an assembly

I'm trying to get my head around the editing of x-sections in assemblies.

I have some saved section files. Let's call them "y45" and "y135". I used to have a mapkey that would retrieve "y45" from the library, apply it to the 1st section in the assembly, then go to the next section, retrieve "y135" and apply it, and so on. If I had an assembly with 20 parts I would just hit this mapkey 10 times. Now this wouldn't be perfect, because some sectioned parts wouldn't always go well together visually, but it was a start.

Is there anyway I can do this with Creo? It seems I have to picked the parts manually that I want to apply a particular library hatch pattern to. This is a pain if there are 20 plus parts in an assembly and some of them are not so easy to select. Is there some way to scroll through the parts in the section?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

It seems when they changed the interface, they neglected to add the "next" and "previous" selections from the xtop menues. Bummer!

I would think this warrants an Idea in the Idea section of the forum

Right click and the model tree seem to work fine for this but it would be nice to just step through the parts as we use to.

I assume you are talking about doing this in assembly mode, not drawing mode?

GrahameWard
5-Regular Member
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Yes, assembly mode. Either actually. In WF the interface Of "next" and "previous" is the same in drawing mode and in assembly mode.

Of course, if I am doing my job in the logical order I would do it in the assembly and it would show up that way in my drawing.

I just played with it some more. This is a horrible interface. When you select an item, it doesn't take on the attributes of what is currently assigned, it assigns what is currently highlighted in the dialog. A good way to loose good information! This has got to be a serious oversight in programming!

GrahameWard
5-Regular Member

I know. That has screwed me up a few times already.

At least the drawing version is still the old xtop version. There seems to be a break between the two where the model doesn't follow the drawing edits anyway.

Sorry, I never used mapkeys for sections. I always went through the dialog in the drawings and called it good. I find assembly/part x-section to be distracting since they don't maintain their angular orientation to the part anyway. I will use the fill and color options from time to time when I need to make a presentation.

I'd say model hatching dialog could use a bit more work.

GrahameWard
5-Regular Member

You know, you're right. I see drawing mode is same as it ever was. I wonder why they would have 2 completely different ways of doing it depending on which mode you are in? I suspect that future releases the xtop version will go away too.

I get your point about the sections showing up in 3D, it can be annoying that the hatch lines don't follow the model orientation. I only use it occasionally. Usually if I show a section in the assembly, I just double click, so I show the actual cut rather than the hatching. Sometimes I want to see the hatching though, just to make it clearer.

Top Tags