cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Datum tag for the axis of a cone

bvincent
1-Newbie

Datum tag for the axis of a cone

Hello,

I'm working with Creo 2.0 and I need to place the datum tag of the axis of a cone on the angular dimension of the cone (like it is described in ISO 5459).

So far, it is not possible to place this tag on the angular dimension on the cone but this is the standardize way to proceed !

Does someone know how to make the annotation acording to the below illustration ?

regards in advance

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Vous+ne+pouvez+pas+attacher+de+r%C3%A9f%C3%A9rences+aux+cotes+angulaires.&rls=com.microsoft:fr-FR:IE-Address&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7MXGB_frFR594&safe=active&gfe_rd=cr&ei=MyNtWM-KJNCt8wfPh4bIDg&gws_rd=ssl

3 REPLIES 3
Kevin
10-Marble
(To:bvincent)

Since it can't be attached to the angle dimension a work around to display it is to place a plane tangent to the cone surface.

bvincent
1-Newbie
(To:Kevin)

Thanks Kevin,

I agree a tangent plane would make the job but I wanted to make it neat.

I looked at ASME way to specify the axis of a cone as a datum feature and I realize that it is different from ISO standard: datum tag can be attached to the surface tolerance to refer to the axis of the cone. Creo can do this.

I guess that PTC being an US software, ASME standard is fulfilled in priority and for this point, ISO looks not possible with Creo !!

Can you (or anybody else) confirm that Creo is "ASME orientated" and that ISO GD&T is not PTC priority ?

Thanks in advance and best regards

Kevin
10-Marble
(To:bvincent)

‌I think it has more to do with the software hasn't been updated to the latest standards. Even with ASME not all of display options seem to be supported. The standard referenced is from 2011, before that specifying the datum in this manner isn't part of the standard. The other thing I would note is the datum is not the axis the datum is the cone surface. As far as how PTC determined which standard revision they used or how and when they update or incorporate new changes I couldn't say.

Top Tags