cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Dealing With Intersections of an Inscribed Hexagon

mpw258
2-Guest

Dealing With Intersections of an Inscribed Hexagon

Hey all,

For the longest time whenever I am modeling I run into this issue with intersection where I don't get a defined sketch area.

Capture 1.PNG

I want to cut away the outer edge to make a hexagon. What I usually do is make the circle biger than I actually want it.

Fix.PNG

It works fine and gives me what I want, but I run into this issue with many of my circle intersections. I assume I can't use this technique for every situation I run into.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:mpw258)

It's been a interesting problem for me.

There are cases where you can use just the hexagon and cut to the outside, but under some conditions it fails and acts in unexpected ways.

The easiest certain alternative is to perform two cuts, with 3 non-touching segments in each sketch. Alternative planning is to make the part shorter and add the hexagon.

And sometimes precision helps... but this case may be unique since David is pretty up on this kind of shortcoming.

Can extrude/cut'ting one side and pattering it be a more reliable solution?

Hi,

the situation in your first section is forbidden. Hexagon must not touch circle (even it is split into 6 segments). In different words: section must not contain branching entities - only two solid entities can be attached to one vertex.

Martin Hanák
Top Tags