cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Define an optical fiber in Pro-Cabling

dBarbat
7-Bedrock

Define an optical fiber in Pro-Cabling

Does anybody already have to create a spool for a fiber optics(optical fiber)?

My feeling would be to manage it as a cable...

Any suggestion or sharing of experience would be great.

Thanks

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

I would actually create a fiber spool the same way I would create a wire spool but with extra attention to the minimal bend radius. I usually don't spend much on bend radius but with fiber it's important so you don't snap your fiber.

Are there any other concerns I am forgetting?

You can define fiber the same way you'd define any other wire or cable spool. Depending upon your fiber and your tolerance for attenuation, bend radius may not be that much of an issue.

Back in the early 2000's the minimum bend radius for the best fiber was still only about 30mm... today you can almost tie fiber in a knot without hurting it. Be aware though, if you choose to set your minimum bend radius using the spool settings in Creo Cabling, you may not always get the results you expect. Sometimes a cable will refuse to route even though there's technically sufficient room to achieve routing without violating the minimum bend radius.

This is just something to look out for... I think I'm straying from your original question though so I'll stop here!

Thanks,

-Brian

Top Tags