cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Dell Precision T5400 Performance Woes

pauldelong
1-Newbie

Dell Precision T5400 Performance Woes

All the bells and whistles and I keep getting memory errors and subsequent smooth transitions to the OS.

This is whatit shows under 'My Computer'

Dell Precision T5400

XP Professional 32-bit

Intell XEON

E5410 2.33 GHz, 2.33 GHz

3.0 Gb RAM

Nvidia Quadro FX 1700

Running WF 3, Intralink 3.4

Load a couple of assemblies, maybe using 2.0 GB of RAM and get a Memory Running Low message in ProE- if I don't do something quickly to free up space, KA-POW and I witness a quick, but elegant, departure of ProE

Does anyone have any suggestions of have you had similar problems with this chipset/configuration?

Paul

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Windows actually limits the amount of memory per process to 2 GB (usually more like 1.7). You can set it to allocate up to 3GB which might resolve your issue (you must be opening fairly large or complex assemblies?). There is a PTC doc on it here:

https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=111330

Or go to Microsofts site directly:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833721and scroll down to the /3GB option

Hope this helps.

Colleen

Get ubuntu linux 9. make sure it is the 64bit version. Actually does
your hardware support 64 bit? If it doesn't then you are still going to
have the same problem. Anyway, ubuntu is free and pro/e works on it.
Look into "CAE linux" that system is now an ubuntu based system. It
has FEA, CFD and other great engineering tools that you can use. Usually
you would create a model in pro/e and then test it using those other
tools. But I gret ahead of my self here... You probably just want the
ability of opening larger assemblies or using more than 2 gigs of
memory. XP 64 is your other option obviously, but this one might not be
supported anymore soon who know. It depends on how Bill Gates feels when
he wakes up in the morning.

Regards,

Alfonso

Alfonso Medina O.
Mechanical Engineer

As much as I have respect for the Linux crowd it (Ubuntu) is still not ready for prime time... way too many tweaks are still necessary to get what is commonly expected of Windows. Trust me - I like Ubuntu but it still needs a lot of grooming.

The 3Gb switch is nice for 32-bit systems but there is risk that your system will become unstable. Essentially you're taking memory from the OS and making it available to programs. We did this for quite a while with only one instance of losing a system. But sometimes that's all it takes to push you into 64-bit.

Your system will need to be upgraded to 64-bit, preferably XP but you may have to settle for Vista/Windows 7. This involves reinstalling Windows and loading 64-bit ProE. IL 3.x, Mechanica, Mathcad, etc. run fine on 64b and there is seamless sharing of files between 32b & 64b.

Once on 64-bit get as much RAM as possible - this will be limited by what your motherboard can handle... Dell will have specs for this. It's not uncommon for 8Gb to be installed.

XP64 is the best. I've run ProE on Vista 64 and W7 64... both are adequate, but the best performance came from XP64.

-Ter

Top Tags