cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Dimension Text Modifications

PF_9790518
3-Visitor

Dimension Text Modifications

Dim Text Mods.JPGI am modifying dimension text in Creo 8. Is there a comprehensive list of text modifiers, such as @O for override or  @[{&D203} to display dimension 203 as basic when being referenced inside another dimensions dimension text?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:PF_9790518)

Here are a few of the most popular text mods:

• Overwrite Dimension: @O 
  • Box around text: @[***@] 
  • Superscript: @+***@# 
  • Subscript: @-***@# 
  • Super/Subscript {0:***}{1:@+***@#)@-***@# 
  • Multiple formats: 
    • To edit the style of one section of a note, first click to select the entire note, then click again to select just the section you want to change. You can then RMB -> Text Style... and change size etc. as required. 
    • This works directly with separate lines within a note, but to change just one part within a line you must first separate that section by adding {1: and } around the relevant text: 
    • {1:Large Text} Small Text 
    • Separate Line 
    • Then close the note editor and proceed as above. 
  • Round Parameter Value:  add [.X] after the parameter name, X being the number of decimals. 
  • Leader Location on Note: add @O to line on note. 
  • Use & or @:  Type twice in note e.g., && or @@ 

You can also look at Creo Help.  

Text Strings (ptc.com)   - Detailed Drawings > Annotating the Drawing > Working with Text and Notes > Modifying Note Text > Text Strings

There is always more to learn in Creo.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Yes, to learn this ancient and secret language 😅 - try these links:

Tips for text (from this forum) 

System Parameters for Drawings (from PTC help) 

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:pausob)

There are a lot more system parameters in your files if you are using Windchill with Creo.

Some of the ones listed in the PTC Help are outdated from Pro/PDM and Pro/Intralink.

kdirth
20-Turquoise

Here are a few of the most popular text mods:

• Overwrite Dimension: @O 
  • Box around text: @[***@] 
  • Superscript: @+***@# 
  • Subscript: @-***@# 
  • Super/Subscript {0:***}{1:@+***@#)@-***@# 
  • Multiple formats: 
    • To edit the style of one section of a note, first click to select the entire note, then click again to select just the section you want to change. You can then RMB -> Text Style... and change size etc. as required. 
    • This works directly with separate lines within a note, but to change just one part within a line you must first separate that section by adding {1: and } around the relevant text: 
    • {1:Large Text} Small Text 
    • Separate Line 
    • Then close the note editor and proceed as above. 
  • Round Parameter Value:  add [.X] after the parameter name, X being the number of decimals. 
  • Leader Location on Note: add @O to line on note. 
  • Use & or @:  Type twice in note e.g., && or @@ 

You can also look at Creo Help.  

Text Strings (ptc.com)   - Detailed Drawings > Annotating the Drawing > Working with Text and Notes > Modifying Note Text > Text Strings

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:kdirth)

Quick question, Does the Round Parameter Value actually round or does is truncate?

kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:Dale_Rosema)

According to the information in Creo help it is rounded:

When adding the note that contains the parameter, append the parameter symbol with "[.#]", where # is the number of decimal spaces to appear. For example, if a detailed view scale is 1.125, and you want to display only two decimal places, change the drawing label to &det_scale[.2] (no spaces). This displays the scale note as 1.13.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

The PTC method of rounding does not meet ANSI standards for rounding of engineering drawings!

Rules for Rounding Off

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ever since the calculator replaced the slide rule, people have been able to get results to six or more places, therefore it's critical that we know how to round the answers off correctly. The typical rule taught back in elementary school was that you round UP with five or more and round DOWN with four or less.

SORRY, BUT THIS RULE IS WRONG!

However, please don't rush off to your elementary school teacher and read 'em the riot act!

The problem lies in rounding "up" (increasing) the number that is followed by a 5. For example, numbers like 3.65 or 3.75, where you are to round off to the nearest tenth.

OK, let's see if we can explain this. When you round off, you change the value of the number, except if you round off a zero. Following the old rules, you can round a number down in value four times (rounding with one, two, three, four) compared to rounding it upwards five times (five, six, seven, eight, nine). Remember that "rounding off" a zero does not change the value of the number being rounded off.

Suppose you had a very large sample of numbers to round off. On average you would be changing values in the sample downwards 4/9ths of the time, compared to changing values in the sample upward 5/9ths of the time.

This means the average of the values AFTER rounding off would be GREATER than the average of the values BEFORE rounding.

THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.

We can correct for this problem by rounding "off" (keeping the number the same) in fifty percent of the roundings-even numbers followed by a 5. Then, on average, the roundings "off" will cancel out the roundings "up."

The following rules dictate the manner in which numbers are to be rounded to the number of figures indicated. The first two rules are more-or-less the old ones. Rule three is the change in the old way.

If it is less than 5, drop it and all the figures to the right of it.
If it is more than 5, increase by 1 the number to be rounded, that is, the preceeding figure.
If it is 5, round the number so that it will be EVEN.

Keep in mind that a zero is always considered to be EVEN when rounding off.

Thank you so much for this post.  Statistically skewing numbers by using the 4/9ths - 5/9ths method is pet peeve of mine.  When I explain the "round 5 to even" method to my co-workers, they look at me like I'm crazy.

Rick Z.

I mean, Excel does it with the "elementary school way"... so seems most of the world does it the wrong way 🙂

On the other hand, Python uses the "banker's" rounding method by default.

So anyway, I do think Creo should be compatible with the standards - but seems the "Have drafting dimensions round per ANSI Z210.1  " idea has been archived?

Do you know what the text mod for adding a delta into a note? Currently we are placing a symbol and relating it to the text, however, it's from what a few coworkers have told me there is a way to add it directly in a notes text.

kdirth
20-Turquoise

In Creo 7, Delta is in the text symbol list

kdirth_1-1700059029799.png

Here is how to place a symbol inside a note:  Place symbol in note by placing note in drawing first then in note type &sym(symbol name).  Symbol may be deleted from drawing. 

Here are the built in keyboard shortcuts:

kdirth_0-1700058470410.png

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Is that in model or drawing?

I am seeing this when I edit a note in a drawing in Creo 9

Dale_Rosema_0-1700059541189.png

kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:Dale_Rosema)

That is in drawing.  I get the same options in model.

kdirth_0-1700059914959.png

kdirth_1-1700060027687.png

StephenW
23-Emerald II

If you are refering t symbol like a custom symbol from the annotate tab, symbol, custom symbol.

&sym(SYMBOL_NAME)

for example, I have a custom symbol named note_sq, so to show it in a note, it would look like this:

&sym(NOTE_SQ)

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags