cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Does anybody use the manufacturing harness model to create a detail drawing

DaveS
1-Newbie

Does anybody use the manufacturing harness model to create a detail drawing

I have been wrestling with creating detail drawings of manufacturing harness models.  The biggest issue is creating stable dimensions.  Any small movements in the 3d model of changes, tends to wreck the dimensioning scheme.  We are currently using Wildfire 4.0 and will be transitioning to Creo 2.0

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3
JimBarrettSmith
14-Alexandrite
(To:DaveS)

Dave

If you could skip 2 and go straight to 3 then this enhancement could solve a lot of the issues you are having

Other than that i assume you are using options like fan significant locations only to try and minimize the impact of change

thanks, Jim

jroeber
4-Participant
(To:DaveS)

I have used the mfg for detailed drawings.  I thought it worked fairly well.  I typically dimensioned location to location, depicting lengths between breakouts or splices.   If you can use just Network locations for your dim anchors, may increase your stability.     Preferably, the network would be the only thing in your mfg, and drawing to do the dimensioning, thereby forcing you to only use Network, and giving you the speed of a small harness to work with.     I believe can be accomplished using subharnesses.  Add wires to subharness after dimensioning is done.  You have to remember to add any new wires to your subharness when adding in future or your drawing will not update.  Got caught a couple of times on that.

Maybe post a pic of failed items to see what kind of trouble you are having.

Do flat pattern drawings all the time there a lot of simple things that need to be done to get proper harness length and breakouts. I prefer to do the harness exactly as I expect it to be made have all my tape locations and bundling in the harness. I also assemble all cable ties etc. as well. The secret is to make sure you have a wire strip length as well when you designate the references that will then give you proper length. Also have a plan of what you want your flat to look like is a good Idea that way you can have locations to support breaks and reattaching broken loops. Some times I will do my flat a few times till I get the proper layout. I have a 100% confidence in my harnesses fitting and being built as designed. I do push to do the Sub-harness process as it lends itself to a proper bill depicting all connectors and terminals in an automated BOM. All my connectors are complete assemblies that means housings,terminals,locks, and seals etc. One of the biggest issues I see is that people omit the details and it causes rework with harness interface later. The secret is getting a feel for the Harness mfg quirks and working around them. Sometimes an extra location to keep the bundle aligned so it don't break when you flatten it. The toughest part is to get all your loops closed and once you see the process and realize why they are breaking you can add a control location so it don't break. We use the diagram for all the system drawings and all harnesses are driven by the diagram logic. All harnesses are routed to networks and all tape and clip points are designed unto the harness.

Top Tags