cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Drawer Assy Mechanism

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

Drawer Assy Mechanism

Creo 3, M040

I'm curious how folks are creating a drawer assy with the same drawer glide on each side.  I've created the glide with the proper mechanism constraints, assembled two glides into another assy and assembled the drawer to the inner part of the one drawer glide.  The drawer opens and closes, but the other glide does not move.  It's generally a cosmetic issue more than anything, but I'd like the drawer to operate properly.

Is there a simple way to tie the two drawer glides together?  I tried assembling one glide , then the drawer body and then the second glide, tying the outer to the ground body and the inner to the drawer body.  That just locked everything up so it wouldn't move.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:dgschaefer)

Two ideas.

1.  Make sure you're only using mechanism connections, not placement constraints.

2.  Try creating a second connection set that ties just one surface or plane of the fist glide to the second glide.

Take a look at this thread and see if anything helps:  Problems with Mechanism Connections

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:dgschaefer)

Two ideas.

1.  Make sure you're only using mechanism connections, not placement constraints.

2.  Try creating a second connection set that ties just one surface or plane of the fist glide to the second glide.

Take a look at this thread and see if anything helps:  Problems with Mechanism Connections

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:TomU)

I used mechanism connections inside the drawer slide sub-assy, but assembled the slide sub-assys and the drawer tray with standard constraints.

--
LinkedIn

All I can say is that I've done this successfully with a gantry using 2 parallel drivers on the x-axis.

I couldn't explain how I got there to save my life.

But do try to create a new constraint set when you tie the "other end" of the slide to the moving drawer (the follower).

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:TomU)

I got it. 

• I assembled the slides first and the drawer tray after.  The slides are assembled using standard assembly constraints.
  • I used 4 mechanism constraints for the tray.
  • I used a "planar" constraint between the right planes and another between the top planes.  Now the tray can slide.
  • I then added a "rigid" mechanism constraint between the tray front plane and the end of the inner rail of each slide.
--
LinkedIn
Top Tags