cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Drawing Changing

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Drawing Changing

One of our designers has a drawing that was saved in January and none of the parts or the assembly have been modified since then, except the skeleton file that is used for positioning the assembly.

When he and I opened the drawing this morning from Windchill, most of the views have shifted locations and even dimensions on one view that did not shift have been moved from where they were in January. 

This is very disturbing, especially the dimensioning and balloons moving in relation to their original placement.

I can see something in the skeleton causing the model to 'move' but not dimensions to a view that has not moved.

We are on Windchill 11.0 M030 CPS16 and Creo 4 M080.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:BenLoosli)

I'll bet the view center didn't shift locations, but rather the size of the view changed making it look like it moved.  Just for fun, open the old version of the drawing and write down the view center coordinates, then open the new drawing and compare.  More than likely they will be identical.

If you want to make sure views don't move when the view size (view boundary) changes, tell the view to use some piece of geometry as it's center.  (default csys, etc.)  Likewise, make sure snap line for dimensions are tied to physical geometry and not the view boundary.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
TomU
23-Emerald IV

I'll bet the view center didn't shift locations, but rather the size of the view changed making it look like it moved.  Just for fun, open the old version of the drawing and write down the view center coordinates, then open the new drawing and compare.  More than likely they will be identical.

If you want to make sure views don't move when the view size (view boundary) changes, tell the view to use some piece of geometry as it's center.  (default csys, etc.)  Likewise, make sure snap line for dimensions are tied to physical geometry and not the view boundary.

KenFarley
21-Topaz I
(To:TomU)

I've done this to myself in the past - doing something that causes the overall part "envelope" to increase and thus causing horrible dimension snarls on the drawings. The angle dimensions are the worst offenders. I wish there was such a thing as radial snap lines...

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Hey Ben!  Yeah, I can see that happening, I believe I've seen it as well.  Hmmmm, makes me think now that instead of having my snap lines reference views (way faster/easier but more risky) I should have them reference geometry which shouldn't change.  But, that wouldn't fix the problem of the view itself moving around if it changed size and center.  I wonder if "locking" the views would fix the issue?  I seem to remember you could do that.  I can't get into Creo now, but it might be worth doing those things as an experiment.

TOTALLY agree with Ken about radial snap lines, I've been wanting that for a long time.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:Patriot_1776)

I'm pretty sure locking the views just prevents you from physically dragging them around.  In this case I don't think the view center's position in the drawing changed at all, rather I'm guessing the view *size* changed due to where the geometry is located.  This is where using a geometry reference for the view placement can help instead of letting Creo dynamically calculate where it thinks the view center should be.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:TomU)

'Morning Tom!

Yeah, not sure either on that point.  I just don't have time to test the theory yet.  I'm wondering if the "cube" theory would help.  You'd think Creo would key on the cube, and if that never changed, then the view location shouldn't.  That and using geometry for snap lines might be able to clear most of this issue for Ben up.

I've seen it happen, it's just never been a big enough issue for what I do to really spend a day digging into it.

kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:Patriot_1776)

Changing the origin of the view, in View Properties, to "On item" and selecting an edge of a part and/or feature that won't move would keep the view from moving relative to that part.

There is always more to learn in Creo.
Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:kdirth)

I actually don't believe it would.  If Creo thought the view had gotten larger it would simply get larger around that new origin point, no matter where that new point was.

NOW, what if you made a cube of surfaces (extrude with capped ends), with your entire model (part, assembly, whatever) inside that cube, sizing the cube to be JUST a little bigger than you'd ever think the model would be, hide the cube surfaces, then place your views.  THAT, should stop the views from moving around.  So, doing that, and using geometry instead of view outlines for your snap lines should make the dwgs more stable.

Top Tags