cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Drawing Rev vs tool Rev with windchill. How do you manage?

jwagh
17-Peridot

Drawing Rev vs tool Rev with windchill. How do you manage?

For our plastic parts, we have a tool table that tracks the Rev of the tool for the plastic part separately from the drawing itself. This way, we can revise the drawing for a spelling mistake without changing the tool Rev. Is this what is typically found in the industry? What do you guys do, if not this? 

3 REPLIES 3
jbob
11-Garnet
(To:jwagh)

We have a process for No Form Fit or Function changes that allows us to modify the model or drawing without changing the revision. Both the drawing and model revision are in sync. These changes maybe a new simp rep in a model or a spelling change on a drawing.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

We keep the model and drawing at the same revision. Spelling mistakes must be documented with a revision to the drawing. Any model changes need a revision, which drives a drawing revision, even if there is no change to the actual drawing.

Exceptions may be for adding a simplified rep, as it does not affect the model or drawing, but that must be done by an admin.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Hoo boy, THAT'S a can of worms.  I know a lot of companies LIKE to keep the revs of the part (and thus the tool) the same, but I totally disagree with that, especially when there's tooling involved (could easily be $100k+).  If the geometry of the model doesn't change I don't think the model should be revised unless there's a material, finish, or marking change.  This is a sticky area that should involve all the departments of your company, especially the logistics (stock on hand, etc.) guys.  Talk it over, think of all the scenarios, and come up with a plan.  I don't think drawings should be changed without a rev.  For me, what I'd taken to doing was I created a format that had your regular "REV" cell populated by Windchill in the usual (if there is one) place.  But I ALSO put in a small table down underneath the title cell that listed both the model and drawing Windchill "VERSION".  This way you knew without a doubt what version of the model went with what version of the dwg.  This was helpful if you don't use "baselines", like you should.

Best of luck!

Top Tags