cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Editing and creating new .mtl files

ptc-4734486
1-Newbie

Editing and creating new .mtl files

A key point in executing tests in creo simulate is the identification of materials, using a .mtl file. However, the creo simulate materials library is limited in precise aluminum alloys. I was wondering if anybody knew the way creo .mtl files are coded, and could point me to any documents concerning it, as the products I design use an alloy 6015 aluminum, which is not among the creo listings. Thus, I need to code my own .mtl files.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yes, actually, Tim Brotherhood is one of our forum participants. It appears Tim make a project of providing PTC with a good basic set of material files. Furthermore, when you create new materials in Creo Parametric, you get drop-down dialogs for all that data. Therefore, the interface from inside Creo is the way to create these files but once you have a good material file for a "series" of material, it might be easier to edit the few relevant fields with an ASCII editor.

I am afraid I have little use for these capabilities and therefore have no real way to help by adding more specific information with regard to how Creo Analysis deals with the values. Check out the dialog because it really is a lot better than things I've seen in the past. For instance, it has all the allowable data ranges and units of measure already encoded into the UI. Some really powerful functions including user provided curves can be entered.

You might also contact Tim Brotherhood and see if he can shed some light on education resources rfegarding the material definition interface.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

I suspect you need to create the files with the material dialog in Creo Parametric if that is where you assign the material. There are several different material types when creating a new material and each have their own sub-menus, the best I can tell.

I would think that there are better libraries than the default collection. I don't know where someone could get those.

As for the format, the files that Creo reads are usually very basic lookup tables in ASCII format. Have you found and opened these yet to see if this is where you want to add your specific material types?. By the sane token, if you create a material with all the data you need, you can use that saved material file to add more entries and know you have all the parameters you entered for the 1st one.

On closer examination, the files first of all are highly tailored for PTC, as certain variables are plastered with PTC, as well as MatWeb. Some of the variables are easily understandable, like PTC_MASS_DENSITY, while some required further investigation, like the PTC method of classifyig materials types, as the file utilizes an integer definition. Others include PTC_FAILURE_CRITERION_TYPE, PTC_FATIGUE_TYPE, and PTC_POISSON_RATIO

Yes, actually, Tim Brotherhood is one of our forum participants. It appears Tim make a project of providing PTC with a good basic set of material files. Furthermore, when you create new materials in Creo Parametric, you get drop-down dialogs for all that data. Therefore, the interface from inside Creo is the way to create these files but once you have a good material file for a "series" of material, it might be easier to edit the few relevant fields with an ASCII editor.

I am afraid I have little use for these capabilities and therefore have no real way to help by adding more specific information with regard to how Creo Analysis deals with the values. Check out the dialog because it really is a lot better than things I've seen in the past. For instance, it has all the allowable data ranges and units of measure already encoded into the UI. Some really powerful functions including user provided curves can be entered.

You might also contact Tim Brotherhood and see if he can shed some light on education resources rfegarding the material definition interface.

Top Tags