cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The community will undergo maintenance on October 16th at 10:00 PM PDT and will be unavailable for up to one hour.

Enter variable while inserting symbol from palette CREO 9

Radoslav
8-Gravel

Enter variable while inserting symbol from palette CREO 9

We noticed that after moving from CREO 4 to CREO 9 (9.0.7.0), the behavior in the drawing when inserting symbols from the symbol palette changed.

In the older version (CREO 4), when inserting a symbol from the palette, the system directly asked for a variable (if the symbol contained a variable), the user either wrote the variable or confirmed the preset value defined in the symbol.

For example, when inserting the roughness symbol Ra, it could be written immediately upon insertion as, for example, 0.8 (while the preset value in my symbol is 3.2). In CREO 9, a variable cannot be written when inserting a symbol. The symbol is inserted and only then can the variable be overwritten via editing "Symbol Customization" command inside Symbol ribbon. It slows down the work terribly.

Is there config option so that the symbol immediately prompts for the variable as before??

Tooling Designer in ZF Slovakia
5 REPLIES 5

Hi,

did you ask IPM Solutions?

Martin Hanák

Yes, But I have no answer yet.

As you can imagine I am (as CREO Key-user in Tooling design office) coping with lots of optimization right now. After CREO 4 to CREO 9 migration (last week) I had to solve some mapkey repairs, config option optimization, setting of new functionality workflows etc. I always try to optimize our CREO for the conditions and needs in our company with regard to the performance of our designers.

Anyway, this is one of the last unresolved (minor) issues that is currently troubling us.

@Radoslav wrote:

Yes, But I have no answer yet.

As you can imagine I am (as CREO Key-user in Tooling design office) coping with lots of optimization right now. After CREO 4 to CREO 9 migration (last week) I had to solve some mapkey repairs, config option optimization, setting of new functionality workflows etc. I always try to optimize our CREO for the conditions and needs in our company with regard to the performance of our designers.

Anyway, this is one of the last unresolved (minor) issues that is currently troubling us.

Hi,

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS366990 tells us that "Change in product specification with Creo Parametric 8.0" was implemented. This means CREO 4 good old functionality was replaced with another one and there is no way back.

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS361529 tells us that you can place all variants of specific symbol into symbol palette and select requested variant when you need to place it onto drawing.

Martin Hanák

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS361529 tells us that you can place all variants of specific symbol into symbol palette and select requested variant when you need to place it onto drawing.

This was the first idea that came to mind as a solution, but it is a few steps back in terms of productivity!!
I would like to see the developers from PTC annotate one of my progressive die tools, which contains about 100 separate drawings with thousands of symbols that need to be inserted and filled. They would quickly forget such ideas for a new implementation of a well-functioning and years-proven function. Give me 10 blank drawings and a stopwatch and I can easily prove which method is more effective!!

Anyway, thanks for suggestion.

Hi,

for completeness, you could ask IPM Solutions if it is possible to program a Toolkit application to provide the missing functionality.

Martin Hanák
Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags