cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Entry Level Wire and Cabling

Charles421SD
3-Visitor

Entry Level Wire and Cabling

I am looking for help in basic MANUAL wire and cable routing for Creo 10. I am trying to self-teach but it’s become clear that I will need some level of formal direction. I am not working from any wire drawings or downloads that automatically populate the paths from an electrical engineered schematic etc... I need only to represent the 3D layout of the wire routes in the top-level assembly and transfer to a 2D drawing for visual representations used in Installation Drawings only.

I have midlevel modeling, assembly and detailed drawing skills to aid in my learning for this. Currently my greatest challenges are orienting my CSYS so that my Z axis (Assuming Z is a default connection for a wire path) is positioned in line to accept my desired wire path orientation. There does not appear to be any way to edit the CSYS which seems to orient randomly when placed. If I do try to edit and click on a since created centerline, it will loop it from the original Z axis pick, (90 degrees off my target orientation) to the centerline I created and continue to the opposite end connection of my wire.

I am sure that my clarification in this will be questioned as I cannot fully understand the Creo Wire and Harness application itself yet.

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:Charles421SD)

Orientation is achieved by selecting the orientation tab and setting how you want is oriented to what.

kdirth_0-1718035764292.png

Also, I find that selecting arcs such as the edge of a hole works very well to place the Z along the axis of the hole.

There is always more to learn in Creo.

Thank you kdurth. I have tried to do that as well. Sometimes I can edit through the orientation tab, but in this case, it is inactive. Note the Z axis is not pointing downward where I need it. If I knew how to place it on the Y axis I might be able to flip the direction. 

Charles421SD_1-1718038158785.png

kdirth
20-Turquoise

Have you clicked on the Orientation tab?  It appears to only me to be in an inactive state (not selected).  What have you selected for the placement references.  For an axis, the origin references would be the axis and a plane and Orientation tab would require a plane, line or axis to fix rotation about axis.   Without the third reference on the orientation tab, in 7.0, I cannot complete the feature.

Thank you kdirth.

I have tried clicking on the Orientation tab, but it did nothing. I ended up adding a new CSYS to the component in question and orientating it as I needed. I would have rather used the one that came with the component but as I said, it would not allow me to edit. My assembly is now wired in as close as can be at this point. 

Can you tell me if the Creo Cabling Application will ONLY allow a path through the Z axis in a CSYS due perhaps to a Default setting in the Config file? I searched to see if there was a way to redirect to the X or Y axis but could not find anything.

Thanks again. 🙂 

kdirth
20-Turquoise

Sorry I can't help you more @Charles421SD, but I don't know much about Cabling.

The only type of coordinate system that I know of that does not allow for orientation is a default coordinate system.  Can you select the Origin tab? If not, you may be trying to modify a default coordinate system, which has only one definition.

Top Tags