cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Excel with point coordinates

dd'hondt
1-Newbie

Excel with point coordinates

Is it possible to import multiple points (coordinates in excel table) in a part or assembly (Creo Elements/Direct)?

3 REPLIES 3

Hi, you can have look on this site:

http://osd.cad.de/lisp_3d_16.htm

description in German but the lisp talks english to.

The coordinates must be written as * .txt files in the following format, and each 3D point is written as: 10.0,10.0,10.0

(Please write info in your Signature) Sysinfo: I use Creo Elements Direct /Drafting, /Modeling and /Modeling Express 8.0 ( formerly CoCreate- SolidDesigner and Drafting or ME10 )

A direct command to do would be nice.  I do not know if one exists.

I typically build the point commands in EXCEL then copy and paste the commands into modeler.

The modeler command to build a coordinate is:

vertex_creation :wire_part "/pointname" 100.00,200.00,300.00 complete

where 100.00 is the X coordinate, 200.00 is the Y coordinate and 300.00 is the Z coordinate.

The command in EXCEL I use to build the string is concatenate.

If in excel column A is the name of the point, B is the X coord, C is the Y coord and D is the Z coord, then the command I would build would look like this:

=CONCATENATE("vertex_creation :wire_part ",CHAR(34),"/",A1,CHAR(34)," ",B1,",",C1,",",D1," complete")

I then copy the resulting cell value and paste it into the modeler command line.  You the need to click the green arrow to the right of the command line to execute the command.

You can also copy a range of cell values and paste them into modeler.

Thanks.

Scott

Building on this idea-if you put all your commands in one column and the points (separated by commas) in an adjacent column of Excel, you can copy and paste into the command line of Creo Elements/Direct, hit Enter, and it creates the "wire" part containing the vertices all at once.  You will want to turn on Vertices in the Show Properties of the viewport, so you can see them once created.  See below (copy and paste green region from Excel into command line of Creo Elements/Direct Modeling):

3DVertexcreation.jpg

Top Tags