cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Exclude feature from extrusion cut

Rocks1
1-Newbie

Exclude feature from extrusion cut

I am making an extrusion to cut material, but I only want to cut the material from one feature, not from every feature above it in the model tree. This is in a part, not an assembly. Is it possible to choose which features I want to cut, or to exclude the unwanted features from the cut? I can't seem to find that option anywhere. Thank you!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
14 REPLIES 14
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:Rocks1)

There is no way to explicitly exclude a feature from a cut. The only option you have is to move the cut higher into the model tree so the subsequent features are not affected. This is an age-old problem but it is the basis of parametric modeling. In Pro|E specifically, under most circumstances, as new features are created, they merge as a single solid, therefore actions also affect these as a united solid.

Of course, you can let the cut go through the feature(s) you wish to save and reconstruct them. Messy but sometimes this is acceptable. The idea is that you have better references to re-create such features at this point.

Unfortunately I'm in a catch 22 there...I can't move this feature or the cut, or my entire model fails. I can't even begin to address the problems in this model. I appreciate your help.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

Depending on the urgency, there might be another way but sustainability will go out the window...

You could try using a merge/remove feature. Make a second part in the shape you want removed and merge it in an assembly model. Problem being that you will always be tied to that assembly model. However, it should allow you to make export files if that is all you need.

I think I want to keep it as a single part, i have to add more parts to it later in an assembly so that might get really messy down the road. Thanks though!

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

I can understand that. If you want some help with it offline, please feel free to PM me.

dschenken
21-Topaz I

You can control the extent of the cut, and the profile of the cut and therefore what the cut affects.

If those controls are not enough, you can create surfaces as you want them to be after the desired cut and use solidify to add or remove some portion of the model surfaces. You can roll back the model tree if some of the surfaces you'd like to copy are portions of features that are not available at the place in the tree where you are working.

Thanks! Unfortunately I'm working with swept blends and all kinds of crazy geometry so my options are very limited. This has been an impossible model, I wish I could understand how anyone makes fluid objects like car skins with Pro E. I had to make one part that has some curves in it and Pro E has been totally uncoooperative. After hours with customer service I have had to just piece together what I can, trying out 10 different options to find anything that doesn't make the whole model fail. I am still trying to get this material cut to work one way or another, just to get through this. I have used solidify to cut some parts of it, but on others it won't work.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

The Industrial Design guys use the Style extension (whatever it is called). Some very serious surfacing tools.

Most of the time, the engineers work with a "styled" surface to protect the ID intent and use these extensively as protected reference surfaces. And you are very right, once you have a piece of that to create a "panel", you are at the mercy of that master model. If it changes, you can really find yourself in a bind.

Don't forget about your accuracy settings. These too can make a model fail in a hurry.

Ah well that makes me feel better, I always wondered why I could barely do one simple curve and I see models of cars and all kinds of stuff on the website. At least it's not all my fault

Thanks for the accuracy tip.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

One word: Surfacing.

With that, you can make pretty much any cut you want, things you couldn't do with a solid cut.

Good call, Frank. David's comments too about copying (zero offset) existing solid faces to generate surfaces is also a good way to preserve previous data. It may seem messy but sometimes it is the only way.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Yup. surfacing's great, when it works. Had something that was giving me some trouble as a VSS, and as separate surface, then I tried using 3 chains in one direction, and none in the other, and it worked. I got a little weird errant geometry in one corner, but managed to tweak the accuracy to make it less ragged. Still hate when that happens.... I'm SURE the boundary blend is a lot less accurate and robust than it used to be.

Rocks1
1-Newbie

Thanks everyone for your help. I was not able to cut my swept blend using any method. Finally I just recreated the entire swept blend in pieces, omitting the parts that I was trying to cut out. It may not make much sense without you being able to see the model, but in the end I just gave up on cutting it at all. No matter what method I tried, I got the same old error - feature failed to regenerate. Thanks again!

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

It is not like we haven't all gone through this Sometimes you just have to cut your losses.

Top Tags