cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Export DWG Drawing with Converted Splines to Arcs

Peter1
1-Newbie

Export DWG Drawing with Converted Splines to Arcs

Hello all,

A very common task in my job is to export a Creo Drawing to a 2D DWG. This drawing has datum curves, no solid models, that are made up of splines and other entities.

The probelm is that the factories that reads these drawings usually pulls in the Spline Shapes as Polylines because that is what I am outputting from the export dialogs. This is not ideal because they need the spline into arcs to properlly run the CNC machines. I can export as Splines, but I think they will still have issues with that as well.

I have searched for solutions or software, but does anyone know how to convert Splines to Arcs easily? I have laid out Arcs over the splines in the model and that is a decent approximation, but not perfect.

We need to keep the spline flexibility but get the easier to use 2D output for the factories/CNC and Graphic Designers that use Illustrator.

Thanks a lot!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1
James62
10-Marble
(To:Peter1)

hi Peter,

I use the same method for our wire cut EDMs. With polylines the output code gets too huge sometimes that the machines can't read it. That's when I replace the splines with arcs manually.

Our CNC machinists use SurfCAM for programming which can handle the spline curves.

The best solution to either buy more capable manufacturing software or tell the designers of the initial models to use splines only when necesarry so these problems don't propagate into the production as much.

~Jakub

Top Tags