cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Export Size and Coordinates from Creo Parametric Part

Robin_Heleven
2-Guest

Export Size and Coordinates from Creo Parametric Part

Dear PTC Community members

We are students on an internship for an automation company. We are currently working on a machine to automatically cut and drill aluminum Bosch Rexroth profiles. 

Our goal is to export outside dimensions and hole coordinates from a 3D part (those aluminum profiles) out of a Creo Parametric model. We would like to have these parameters in a table or text file.

Is there any way to automatically generate these parameters directly from Creo Parametric or does anyone have suggestions on external solutions for that?

Best regards,

Robin Heleven
Jellis Goossens

4 REPLIES 4

looks like you are trying to Export 3d annotation within the model correct? exporting stp v242 is an option but it loads the model with all annotations not the combined states... If you have a 3d PDF tool this is the best way to publish annotations. If you have neither I would say do a 2D drawing.

Also getting that data in a table is something being investigated by PTC at the moment

I hope I answered your question properly.

Zachary Hopkins

There is a lot to unravel in your question.  Each solution that will be presented really depends on the structure of your data and consistency of your dimensioning and parameterization.

If the parts were created using a Family Table (e.g. length, hole options, locations, etc.) then you pretty much have all the data you want in the Family Table (export as a Excel File and then you have your table of data at your fingertips).

If the parts were modeled with a known set of standards - but not as a family table - assuming everyone kept the standards when modeling ... then you should have some parameters you could work with to derive the results you seek.  But this really depends on if you parameterized the model (driving feature type/location via parameters vs just features placed).   Parameterized models are the next easiest thing to get the data for -- Pro/REPORT would be a good option on a drawing then export to Excel from Table...

If the parts were created ad-hoc by multiple users with no standards.. well that is much harder to get the data for.  Probably need to look into APIs to get there.... CREOSON may be an option for obtaining bounding box, feature parameters and the like... 

A lot more would be need to be known about the state of the data to be able to advise a proper direction.

Dave

The engineers design each profile starting from a template. For each type of profile they have a unique template and they copy the one they need into a new part. In the copy, the length can be changed to the desired length. After that they use the holes-function to create the holes they need. The placement is different for each designed profile. The diameter can only exist out of two sizes, 9.8 mm or 17 mm.

We need to extract the following information:

• Length of the designed profile
  • Placement of the holes
    • The distance to the zero-point
    • In which side of the profile is the hole drilled
  • Diameter of the holes
  • Which holes require thread

When we have the data in a excel- or text file, we use it to generate a QR-code with it.

I’ve already looked to Creoson and I think it will be useful, but the problem is that both of us aren’t really familiar with JSON or software coding in general. Also I discovered NitroCell. I’m waiting for a license for this but can anyone tell me something more about the functionalities and of it is useful for us?

The essence of your project tells that this requires programming: yielding holes information from a 3D model to a tabulated format is not part of Creo.

There is a requirement to scan a model, extract the hole information, print that in a file and batch process that: this is programming.

If you are new to coding then weblink is certainly the way to go. The most powerful being Creo Toolkit (C language and under license).

Top Tags