cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Exporting a Simplified Rep in a STEP file

GraemeN
1-Newbie

Exporting a Simplified Rep in a STEP file

I am using WF4. I have created a Simplified Rep and I would like to export it in a STEP file. The file created is very poor compared to an export of the Master Rep. Many of the assembly components are missing. I have tried exporting an IGES file but get the same result. I have tried increasing the model accuracy from 0.0012 to 0.0007. I have tried exporting both STEP formats AP203 and AP214. But no luck. Does anybody have any advice? Are there any config options regarding STEP file or Simplified Rep accuracy?
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4
CBenner
5-Regular Member
(To:GraemeN)

I have noticed also, that doing a STEP or IGES of any assembly, you sometimes get garbage. All of the parts may be there, but are garbled together so they look nothing like the original assembly. IGES seems to be more trustworthy.
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite

remember though that IGES is not solid data only STEP is. Sometimes the proe cannot handle some complexity of files for data translation, thus it will not translate them

I'm not sure if it'll work better.. but try to "externalize" your simp rep first (activate the simp rep from the view manager and right-click it, Copy as External). That will save the simp rep as a separate assy file and try to export from there. Also, if you don't care about having the exported file as an assy (just a merged all-in-one part), try to save as a shrinkwrap part first (it's a pro/e part) then export to STEP from that shrinkwrapped part. The result is clean. (File: Save a Copy, change the type to Shrinkwrap and choose "merge as solid" and set the quality.)

My conclusion is that it is not possible to export a clean Simplified Rep of a large assembly I get the same result when I export a STEP or IGES from a Simplified Rep and from an External Simplified Rep. Half of the assembly is missing! I tried creating a Shrinkwrap of my Simplified Rep and get the same result. Half the assembly is missing. I tried hiding components on a layer and then exporting a STEP file. But this failed to hide the components hidden on the layer. #&%¤ it, I give in.
Top Tags