cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Exporting files for Adobe Illustrator

Peter1
1-Newbie

Exporting files for Adobe Illustrator

Hello all,

I export DWGs to be used in Adobe Illustrator, typcially the geometry is an organic shape in 2D, so just a Creo sketch(s). These sketches can be made up of lines, arcs, splines or any combination. The designers that use Illustrator wants all the geometry to be combined into one "object". Currently, they need to either connect all the objects (lines, arcs) or just redraw the shape using the CAD geometry as reference.

Is there anyway to produce a file with a fully connected object?

Is there a workflow in Creo that we need to make all the geometry a composite, or it "copy" now? But even if we do this, will that export correctly. I will give this shot, but will double up the geometry in the model...

Illustrator can take a dwg, dxf, or pdf.

Thanks!

Peter

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:Peter1)

You operator is being overly fussy or is using some antiquated processes that require a continuous string. Routers for instance tend to stop/start and endpoints, but it is their software that needs to solve continuity. Even polyline files are individual line segments.

I just went through a similar issue with an AI operator that couldn't take DXF or DWG (huge spline files). Neither polylines not splines worked. I ended up sending plot files (EPS) which are generated as *.plt, but a rename to *.eps will make AI recognized the file. I could open the file in Photoshop Elements and select the resulting string for a mask edge and fill the interior. If that's not enough for your operator, they need some classes.

The problem stems from the recognition of most vector exports or primitives. Lines, arcs, circles ellipses, polylines (if not splines) which is how these expoprt files are written for over a decade. I get so much flack from CNC operators and illustrators that I add 2 days for conversion issues alone. The problem is not on PTC's end, it is the huge influx of poorly trained operators and really poor implementations in their "tool of choice". The biggest problem is data integrity. Once the operator finishes massaging the file, I want an output from their system to confirm the data is still within my design intent.

Top Tags