cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Family Table Question

GrahameWard
5-Regular Member

Family Table Question

I've had a problem with drawings updating in WF 4.0. My drawings have the following format: There are two views of a generic part - it's a simple sheet metal part. Then I have another view of a family table instance of the same part. The instance shows the flattened version. In other words it has the "Flat Pattern" feature resumed, whereas this feature is suppressed in the generic. What I have done is this: I have the part in session (the drawing is not in session at this point). I modify the length of the part and regenerate the part. Then I open the drawing afterwards and the generic has changed but the family table instance has not changed. If I go >Edit >Regenerate >Model >Automatic from the drawing it of course regenerates every model that is in the drawing - that is it regenerates the generic and the instance together. It's kind of dangerous if I don't remember to do that. I would like to do two things: 1.when I regenerate an instance (or the generic) of a family table part I want the other instances to regenerate automatically; and 2. I would like to automatically update the views in a drawing when I open or activate the drawing window. Any ideas?
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

Grahame, Regarding updating the flat instance, I think it would have to be verified separately after you regen. What I would do in your case is to set up a mapkey to regen followed by a family table verification (I do use a mapkey to verify family table) and then just use that mapkey (add an icon if you wish) instead of the standard regen command. About the drawing, check the config.pro option "auto_regen_views". The default is yes unless somone had changed it for you.
GrahameWard
5-Regular Member
(To:HatimAbdul)

Thanks for the prompt reply. That would be a bummer if I had to go >Tools >Family Table, then >Tools >Verify >Verify(2nd window). I've tried this with my part and drawing. When I verify the instance, the drawing view of the instance instance doesn't repaint until I click on the Update Windows icon. The far simpler thing to do is go to the drawing and just do Ctrl G. It regenerates everything and updates the views at the same time. But I would really really like to do this automatically. It only takes someone to forget to do this once and the flat pattern will get made to the wrong dimensions

Pro/E has had a problem with this since I've been on it (V.15). It will not force a second regen if needed, it must be done manually. This shows it's ugly head in relations, as you've seen regenerating instances, and some other areas. I had done something really neat with a type of "hoffman box" I designed where I had to show 4 different electronic configurations, and instances of all 4 with the door open and closed for the drawing. Now, we had a ground wire attached to the lid from the electronics. The 3d trajectory (intersection of 2 curves) I made worked fine with both the door open, and door closed......except the second regen would not work until I manually loaded the instance of the assy first before I opened the dwg. If I tried to just open the dwg, the wire was hanging out in space. Until they fix this serious issue, we're just going to have to use the Pro/WORKAROUND and Pro/FANITY modules.....

And on the same subject, if you have relations in your model, It's likely you have to regen twice. But in my first reply, I was trying to emphasize the use of mapkeys as a way to "customize" Pro/e performance with the least clicking. When I was in PTC business, we were told that 3rd party studies showed that Pro/E creates the same design as SW with less clicking and mouse traveling.
GrahameWard
5-Regular Member
(To:HatimAbdul)

I find the best thing about the Pro/Workaround and Pro/Fanity modules is that they seem to be open ended and limitless in their application. But seriously...what was interesting about this situation is that I found that if I changed the generic part from within the assembly and did a Regen All the instance would then update without a problem (and show in the drawing), even though the instance itself was not in the assembly.
Top Tags